Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Organizing thread - CoC Legacy and Support

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2081 posts

Can we pin this topic ? I think it's crucial to keep the momentum.

Done.

skureppe

skureppe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
I can do card design and Photoshop.
Actually I have some templates made by my friend and me. Fonts are needed.
I've made some cards already,pretty good actually,not worse than pod stuffs.

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts
Skelton, what kind of file types can be used in forum posts?
I found out that jpeg can't but I'm wondering what we should be using for sharing card designs?

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

I think we should have a team of a few people doing design, with one person designated as the "arbiter" and final say on new designs.

I don't mind heading up some sort of effort to organize, as I have done it in the past for articles. I've participated in playtesting and editing for official product (sorry btw for not catching errors in French. Not a good language for me.)

If we designate these people, then we can submit this to FFG to try to get either templates or fonts. [Edit: I think by having a designated team of responsible parties, FFG may be more likely to turn over files to them.]

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

I've got a lot of card concepts, but my contributions should be on the brainstorming end, rather than the polishing and finishing part of the process.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

I think what may be more helpful is having a team of 3-4 individuals responsible for development. We could have a separate process for submitting card ideas.

• Unnamable likes this

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2081 posts

Skelton, what kind of file types can be used in forum posts?
I found out that jpeg can't but I'm wondering what we should be using for sharing card designs?

I'm not 100% sure. It could be worth setting up a google group for the project.
  • Unnamable likes this

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts
I've figured it out:

X94WNmH.jpg

RichardPlunkett

RichardPlunkett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

I am a fairly competent rules lawyer and would be happy to take up a lead or support role in that regard.

Btw, my last email from Damon suggested the current FAQ may not be the last.

I am pretty good at card evaluation, and so could contribute a lot on the new card design/tuning front

But I worry about fan card design though. Looking at the card base, most of them are weak, yet players rarely want to design weak cards.

• Carthoris likes this

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

But I worry about fan card design though. Looking at the card base, most of them are weak, yet players rarely want to design weak cards.

I don't much relate to that sentiment. The key to a good card design is finding the point of balance between useless and overpowered. In an effort to reach that goal, adding weaknesses to a card is as interesting as adding strengths.

But I get your caution, and I think that any fanspansion effort will need something like two or three editor types whose task is to maintain the sort of balance I described above.

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

The problem with the CCG card base is, that their power level was influenced by their rarity. I.e. unlike in the LCG not all cards were created equal. They had different power levels by design:

• Common cards had to be the 'butter & bread' cards: average in power, rather bland in their effects. Often each faction would get a version of a card that was virtually identical for each faction. There were also quite a few that have to be considered 'filler'.
  • Uncommon cards were more powerful and could have more 'interesting' effects. They're what fueled decks.
  • Rare cards were either 'must have' cards that were very powerful and could fit into any deck (assuming the faction fit) or very 'special', i.e. they required a very specific deck to be built around them in order to work, but could then become extremely overpowered.

• Carthoris likes this

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Is the proposal here to cherry-pick CCG cards that did not yet make it into the LCG and re-engineer them for a or 'part of an' exfansion? I played competitively throughout the CCG and LCG periods and own a full play set of each. I have also play-tested throughout both periods. I would be available to offer my skills/experience in design and development. Those who have the CCG cards may be already mixing the two and might not be interested in a set of re-engineered cards unless a very thoughtful reimagining is presented. With added relevant LCG subtypes and balanced but dynamic interaction this little project could snowball into full and original exfansions.

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

I am sure that the file-sharing capacity, news letter subscription and other assets of GGs or other similar spaces would be very beneficial!

I'm not 100% sure. It could be worth setting up a google group for the project.

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2081 posts

I have had a few people message me with regards the idea of a google group. How do people feel about proceeding in this manner? The people I have spoken to believe this may be the best way to proceed. 

• Mulletcheese, GrahamM, Unnamable and 2 others like this

MightyToenail

MightyToenail

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
Ugh, how do you guys have such organization? Can you help with a Conquest fan expansion? Please? Anyone? And no, I don't play CoC, just came across this thread by accident.

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Er, Conquest is still in development at FFG, right? There's probably not much motivation for a fan expansion when the publisher has more in the pipeline.

Yathulok

Yathulok

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Now that worlds has finished I think it is appropriate to look at options for keeping the game moving forward.  I think a google group would be the easiest option for sharing files but before that I'd like to hear what other think about a season approach.  I think it would be great to start something off at the beginning of the year and then wrap up with a Tournament at Gencon.  Something along the lines of either a Theme or new Story deck to kick off the new year.  I'll admit though I kind of like where the card pool is but I also have to make the comparison with Warhammer Invasion and since nothing happened for that game it just found a way to be forgotten which is a shame because I liked that game too.

I had started a template for making custom cards but I'd like to know if there has already been an initiate further along than I am.  I'd rather not duplicate effort or maybe there is better options out there.

My template is done in GIMP which can be downloaded for free at www.gimp.org

I guess the only reason I went with that is because it's free and easily accessible.  If you decide to give it a try you can download the template linked here and then once its open you need to bring up the layers which can be found in the toolbar under "Windows" - "Layers, Channels, Paths, Undo - Brus..."  Then it'll be just a matter of turning on or off each icon/skill/cost

CoC Template

ExampleCard

ExampleCardJPG

My current obstacle has been finding just the right font which looks good.  And then of course the challenge of art will always be there.  But it's really easy to drop it into the cards.

Edit: the example card was just playing around and not meant to be an actual card of any kind.

• MagnusArcanis, Greynomad38, Unnamable and 1 other like this

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

The first order of business I would agree is establishing a google group. Some discussion has taken place and one proposal has been to design a new story deck to get things rolling and follow up with a full exFansion. I have the TimesCoC font and would be happy to make it available as soon as some things are established.

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

54 cards in a standard poker deck = 18 unique cards. Use 4 of which to create story cards = 14 remaining slots?

1. Assistant to Dr. West. - Never made it to the LCG.

2. Steve Clarny (mu version) - Was always meant to be in the MU.

3. Agency card

4. Syndicate card

5. Cthulhu card

6. Hastur card

7. Shub card

8. Yog card.

9-14 = Silver Twilight Cards

Of course, the above isn't set in stone as another option could be to include a graphical copy of any pending champion cards. I could've sworn there were a ton from 2012 and 2013 national championships from outside NA that never made it to print.

Thoughts? 

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Now that worlds has finished I think it is appropriate to look at options for keeping the game moving forward.  I think a google group would be the easiest option for sharing files but before that I'd like to hear what other think about a season approach.  I think it would be great to start something off at the beginning of the year and then wrap up with a Tournament at Gencon.  Something along the lines of either a Theme or new Story deck to kick off the new year.  I'll admit though I kind of like where the card pool is but I also have to make the comparison with Warhammer Invasion and since nothing happened for that game it just found a way to be forgotten which is a shame because I liked that game too.

I had started a template for making custom cards but I'd like to know if there has already been an initiate further along than I am.  I'd rather not duplicate effort or maybe there is better options out there.

My template is done in GIMP which can be downloaded for free at www.gimp.org

I guess the only reason I went with that is because it's free and easily accessible.  If you decide to give it a try you can download the template linked here and then once its open you need to bring up the layers which can be found in the toolbar under "Windows" - "Layers, Channels, Paths, Undo - Brus..."  Then it'll be just a matter of turning on or off each icon/skill/cost

CoC Template

ExampleCard

ExampleCardJPG

My current obstacle has been finding just the right font which looks good.  And then of course the challenge of art will always be there.  But it's really easy to drop it into the cards.

Edit: the example card was just playing around and not meant to be an actual card of any kind.

This is a pretty decent start. Thanks for the effort so far. 

As for a font. It doesn't need to be exact. Just close. 

When I did story cards from way back when I apparently used....

Sitka for the names and Aparajita for the card text. I don't recall where or how I got them though. 

There is also this, but not sure how accurate it is.