Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Targ Sun

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

PulseGlazer

PulseGlazer

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 2389 posts

Credit to Chris Lavin of Boston for the skeleton of this one:

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com A Game of Thrones 2nd Edition Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (61)

Faction: 
 Targaryen

Agenda: (1)
1x Banner of the Sun (Core Set)

Plot: (7)
1x A Noble Cause (Core Set)
1x Calling the Banners (Core Set)
2x Marched to the Wall (Core Set)
1x Sneak Attack (Core Set)
1x The Winds of Winter (Core Set)
1x Summons (Core Set)

Character: (35)
3x Daenerys Targaryen (Core Set)
2x Desert Scavenger (Core Set)
2x Drogon (Core Set)
1x Edric Dayne (Core Set)
3x Handmaiden (Core Set)
3x House Dayne Knight (Core Set)
1x Khal Drogo (Core Set)
2x Maester Caleotte (Core Set)
2x Magister Illyrio (Core Set)
2x Rattleshirt’s Raiders (Core Set)
3x Rhaegal (Core Set)
2x Ser Jorah Mormont (Core Set)
3x Targaryen Loyalist (Core Set)
2x Varys (Core Set)
1x Viserion (Core Set)
3x Viserys Targaryen (Core Set)

Attachment: (7)
2x Milk of the Poppy (Core Set)
3x Seal of the Hand (Core Set)
2x Syrio’s Training (Core Set)

Event: (11)
3x Confinement (Core Set)
3x Dracarys! (Core Set)
2x Fire and Blood (Core Set)
3x Tears of Lys (Core Set)

2x Plaza of Punishment (Core Set)
3x The Kingsroad (Core Set)
3x The Roseroad (Core Set)

• Gingerben likes this

PatrickHaynes

PatrickHaynes

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 331 posts

3 Viserys? Are attachments that big of a threat? I guess keeping Milk off of Dany is important, but three seems like a lot.

PulseGlazer

PulseGlazer

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 2389 posts

3 Viserys? Are attachments that big of a threat? I guess keeping Milk off of Dany is important, but three seems like a lot.

No confiscation, 2 marched, 3 fire and blood.

PatrickHaynes

PatrickHaynes

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 331 posts

No confiscation, 2 marched, 3 fire and blood.

Fair enough

Midspeed

Midspeed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Dornish Paramour seems decent in this pairing, being able to walk opposing characters into a Dracarys! can't be terrible.

• agktmte and JoeFromCincinnati like this

CrocodileJames

CrocodileJames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
I wanted to build a deck that was Targ Banter to the Sun but the guy I'm currently share the decks with has full control over Martel so I haven't had a chance. How does this one play?
  • PulseGlazer likes this

sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
Have to agree with the above. Paramour loves Mel, Tyrion and Varys. I thought this was a main attraction of Targ Sun.

Also economy looks shaky to Wildfire and lack of draw beyond Dany.

I have a Targ Sun melee build that I'll post once I change it to Joust.

I think it's strong but not quite top level competitive, lacking economy of Fealty or Lion. It's great fun though.

Great to see you posting willy-nilly again. I think there is room for specific build threads as well as the generic faction ones. I reckon this Targ Sun thread will get some love going forward - it's very Nedly too.

PulseGlazer

PulseGlazer

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 2389 posts
I like it better than fealty, about even with lion. It, or a version of it won thronestoberfestc with a number of very strong players. It needs little economy, as Danny is your expensive character and you have the big gold plots to play anything. When Targ is built v week, Danny is enough draw given that removal is card advantage too. She needs 2 cards a turn, easy.

The paramour is important, here, but pretty much everything synergizes one way or another. I should probably only have one Illyrio, but he just enables so many tricks, it's silly people think he's weak. Standing someone like Edric or a Paramour with training, read ying Danny, using Drogo 2x, or having Caleotte lose a surprise challenge, plus that 2 gold means they need to guard for burn, icon removal, and direct kill. It's an options nightmare.

Barnie25

Barnie25

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 589 posts

Haha is it me or does the list you provided not include said Paramour?

My list is a bit different, I am not running Varys in every deck, maybe I should? I don't really like the card in this deck, I have opted to run a slightly more aggressive build that focuses more on targeted kill.

Three big difference in ours lists are as I mentioned the Varys, the inclusion of Dornish Paramour and the single Sunspear that I run, Sunspear and Drogo are just so ridiculous together that I can't leave it out of the deck. My plot deck I am totally not sold on but I did include the Counting Coppers because I want to have a steady stream of cards and being that the curve of this deck is not so high the low cold doesn't totally wreck you.

House Targaryen Banner of the Sun
Draw deck: 61 cards
Plot deck: 7 cards
Packs: Core Set (3)
 Attachment (4)
 Location (9)
1x  Sunspear
 Event (12)
3x  Dracarys!

PulseGlazer

PulseGlazer

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 2389 posts
Ha paramour should be there, whoops. -1 rattleshirt, -1 Illyrio, plus 2 paramour.
  • agktmte likes this

PatrickHaynes

PatrickHaynes

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 331 posts

How does this deck do if Dany gets taken out? It seems fairly reliant on her for draw, to have a target for seal, etc.

PulseGlazer

PulseGlazer

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 2389 posts

How does this deck do if Dany gets taken out? It seems fairly reliant on her for draw, to have a target for seal, etc.

I mean,not great?  I tend to not lose Danny, or not lose her for long anyway. Fire and Blood is really good, and I mull for either a 5-card set up or Danny in hand.  Once I have that, I'm free to use summons as a backup for a dupe, for another copy after Fire and Blood, or so on.

• PatrickHaynes likes this

agktmte

agktmte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1294 posts

You just have to play around Put to the Sword, which isn't particularly difficult to do since it has such high cost and potentially difficult triggering condition. She won't get hit with Tears without some other crazy combo. Right now it is just easy to protect Dany, which means it is a big deal if she is gone, but there are tools to help recover.

Besides, if Dany is gone you can probably still use Drogo to dominate the game. Both are incredibly strong characters.

• scantrell24 likes this

AbashedGunner

AbashedGunner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

What do you look for in a starting marshal for a deck like this?  I imagine starting with just 1 personality is always bad.  Do you go Dany and the 1 cost faction reducer?  Do you try to get 3-4 cards out with your starting marshal?  I'm new to the game (never played 1.0) and have found i want to get 3 or more people into play with my starting marshal to protect me from a first turn Marched to the Wall.  Does that sound about right?

Gingerben

Gingerben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Played some games with a similar list and had so many characters on the board I didn't know what was going on.   Like 8+ characters, just praying he didn't have Calling the Banners . . .

I really like the idea of this deck, the swarm of guys works very well with 2 claim plots and Marched.  I do think I might switch for some higher-gold plots or run more economy, since I had two games where I didn't have enough gold for Dany.  That's partially poor planning on my part, but also partly NW's fault. 

Really liking this combo of houses.  Paramours + Dracarys is hilariously mean. 

• cml likes this

cml

cml

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

I took a version of this deck and won a SC with it yesterday.  Decklist and a quick report here: http://thronesdb.com...ngton-ct-sc-1.0

Hotpie

Hotpie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

What is everyone's thoughts on attained in this deck?

You could really dominate intrigue. Tears would be flying everywhere while your ripping the opponents hand apart, and Droggo would be safe from tears. Or is Nymeria enough?

OKTarg

OKTarg

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1756 posts

I'm sure there is a version that runs Nymeria and Attainted and Game of Thrones in the plot deck. I may have to fiddle with that, actually :)

• agktmte likes this

cml

cml

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

You could really dominate intrigue. Tears would be flying everywhere while your ripping the opponents hand apart, and Droggo would be safe from tears. Or is Nymeria enough?

You certainly could run Attainted and have it work.  I found that typically the combo of Caleotte and Nymeria were sufficient to remove all the intrigue icons I needed them to, and they were enough to justify the 3x Tears.

• kizerman86 and Hotpie like this

linkingverbs

linkingverbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

I run Attainted in my Targ Sun and I love it. But i do agree with Chris that for the most part Nymeria and Caleotte are enough to get you by for sure. Attainted allowed me to yank other icons from other problem characters like KoF all while still taking an Intrigue Icon away. 

I went 7-0 at the NYC SC with it and Attainted made a pretty good impact in 4 of those games, and was crucial in my last round of swiss and top 4 match, both against Tyrell X.

• cml and Hotpie like this