Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

how do i get good at this game

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

YEEZUS

YEEZUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

i am terrible at this game.  do not win much at all.  how do i get better

• imrahil327 likes this

drakk

drakk

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Read the forums, read articles, listen to podcasts, engage in discussions with members of the community, and most importantly play a lot. 

Try stick to the same deck, but tweaking it over time until you get the hang of it, maybe even start off by looking up a decklist on thronesdb.com

• PulseGlazer and eldub like this

YEEZUS

YEEZUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

thanks but man i dont want to be a netdecker!  i am trying to make my favorite two houses work (knights watch and gray joy) but the deck is not good

• America likes this

drakk

drakk

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Night's Watch* (they're not all Knights!)

Well if you'd like to share your decklist I'd be happy to give you any tips I may have

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1741 posts

Yeezus - There isn't a stigma associated with net-decking, and it's a great way to learn what works and what doesn't. You can build from there! There are a number of NW decklists shared (two popular ones are NW/Sun and NW/Wolf, although NW/Stag and NW/Lion have some solid builds as well), while GJ tends to be favoured with Fealty, Lion or Sun. The two together (GJ/Watch or NW/Kraken) haven't really amounted to anything yet. 

Drakk gives good advice - practice, engage with the community. 

What cards are at your disposal (3 cores and taking the black?), how are you playing (in person, over octgn?), and what is beating you? How are you losing - by being wiped out, or choked out of resources, or a steady trickle of power against you? What community resources do you already use/know about (say, from this list

• imrahil327, PulseGlazer, kennish and 1 other like this

Barnie25

Barnie25

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 589 posts

i am terrible at this game.  do not win much at all.  how do i get better

I hope to release an article this week about getting better at this game! I hope it will be helpful.
  • Lannitik likes this

Reclusive

Reclusive

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

What would Kanye do?

1) Copy a winning deck. Better learn with a deck that's well build, rather than finding yourself struggling with a suboptimal one.

2) Take your time. Your deck excels in certain areas, try to play with that in mind.

• Try to trim your opponents board, but not in expense of your own. Just don't over-commit. 
  • Realize how pivotal the plot deck is. Taxation might be an option for example, but Filthy Accusations can find a slot in most decks, making decisions in challenges easier for you.
  • Talk with your opponent after the round if he's up for it. Ask for his opinion about how everything unfolded, but try to filter most of what you've heard.

3) Watch people play. I don't like watching OCTGN games, but thankfully there is some great irl content by people like Rob or Thronerunner.

• theGWN and kennish like this

Shurdus

Shurdus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

I hope to release an article this week about getting better at this game! I hope it will be helpful.

Hope you do. By the way, would it be possible to cram in some more games before the Leiden tournament?

Barnie25

Barnie25

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 589 posts

Hope you do. By the way, would it be possible to cram in some more games before the Leiden tournament?

Leiden is 2 weeks away, Sunday is our tournament but yes sure there is, text me.

trooper6

trooper6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

thanks but man i dont want to be a netdecker!  i am trying to make my favorite two houses work (knights watch and gray joy) but the deck is not good

I am not a netdecker, so this is what I have done:

1) Read articles talking about deck building. Make sure I have a sense of what card type ratios are considered decent.

2) Talk with more experienced players about deck building, have then go through my deck with me and talk to me about the changes they'd make and why.

3) If there are any strategy articles, I read those.

Then I play. But I don't play randomly. I play with an eye towards getting better. Trying to focus on one or two decks to really get to know them well.

So, while I play, I ask myself some questions:

How do I imagine this deck winning the game in a perfect situation?

Am I getting enough characters? 

Am I getting enough economy?

Am I getting enough draw?

Are there cards I'm drawing that I can't use, don't want to use? (Cut those cards)

Is there any particular challenge type I'm particularly bad at consistently? What is my strategy around that?

Do I have ways to deal with problematic characters?

Do I make mistakes? Which ones? Fix that.

With this deck, do I like going first or second? When and why?

etc. 

Then if I'm losing I have to also ask...am I only losing against one particular deck, or all decks? If it is just a bad matchup, then maybe that isn't the biggest deal in the world. If it is against everyone, then I need to either improve my deck or improve my skills.

If I am losing...I have to ask...how am I losing? Am I being murdered with military challenges? Is it stealth? What is it? 

So...don't just play...analyze yourself.

• Sherpico and KnightsWatch like this

Gamaran

Gamaran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

the best way to get better at any competitive card game is to take a moment each turn and realize the different moves you could take. Decision making is what sets apart a average player and a great player. Sometimes a turn seems pretty straight forward but there are multiple ways to play your cards.

Other than that, experience will be the thing that makes you get better. You will lose due to a mistake or not considering X enemy card when laying out your strategy. You will learn (hopefully) from that mistake and improve your gameplay and playstyle. Strategy card games are very much trial and error until you either know exactly what cards to avoid from enemy decks or you develop a instinct of what to do and when.

Like everything in life the more your practice it the better you become, as long as you come to it with a healthy positive mindset and dont get stuck with excuses like "wow, X card is just too broken" or "X faction is just too op".

nikotinlaus

nikotinlaus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

One realy important aspect when trying to become good in any game is accepting how the game works in contrast to how it should work in your oppinion. Sometimes it is just better to play something that is known to work instead of trying to make something wonky work. For that reason I would give a very new player the advise to start playing a archetype that is known to be strong, not some combinations that are chosen for for example thematic reasons.

• badassbard likes this

Jensen22

Jensen22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Absolutely nothing wrong with Net Decking at all. You have to learn how a deck plays in order to beat it. I have built Sam Braatz's, as well as Patrick Haynes decks that took 1-2 at worlds and played them multiple times to figure out how to beat them. Not only am I learning but my opponent usually learns something about them as well.

Ilgothic

Ilgothic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Trial and error is best way to form a proper deck.

What are your winning conditions? What way you plan to win?
What you need to achieve it?

Obtuse

Obtuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
Play. Play as much as possible. Build decks. Build different decks. Build wacky ideas. Build a deck from every faction. Just keep building decks. This will help you learn what each faction can do. You can netdeck or not...netdecking can be a great way to get started, but some don't like to do it. To each their own, but play repetition and knowledge of the cardpool will go a long way.

Libor

Libor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

As others said - play games and most importantly - don´t get frustrated. It is not easy game and some people have advantage that they are more familiar with basics of the game because they played 1st edition.

When I started with first edition (somewhere around two years ago) I played a lot of games through OCTGN with an advanced player (I had no one in my surrounding so I never had my 1st edition AGoT cards physically and I was only on-line player) I was crushed to the ground one game after another... As Obtuse said, I built my own decks, I didn´t netdeck anything. I took the Clansmen and built Clansmen deck. Asshai deck, Kingsguard with The White book agenda, direwolf... It seemed that it were good ones but they weren´t  :) My opponent defeated it everytime with anything. So it went game after game, weak after weak. I am sure that it took around 50 or 60 games when I get used to what good deck means, that good decks need answers, not only own cards for best scenarios. Then I finally beat him but it took weeks of playing and practicing. He is still far better player than me but we play really hard battles now and the games are more tight.

For second edition - you have advantage that there is not so many cards as in first edition. My advice is - build Fealty decks and play as much as possible. The Fealty decks will show you the advantages and weaknesses of all houses. Netdeck or not, it´s your decision, but building Fealty decks is easy if you read some article about deckbuilding and card type ratios.

Another advice - Let better (or more experienced) players explain you your strange decisions and misplays after each game. Ask them for advices what they think you could do better in particular situations. Your own mistakes will help you improve. Last night I had nothing to setup except for Varys (terrible mulligan) with Bodyguard and Kingsroad. I thought I lost at the moment but my opponent marshalled some characters and I wiped the board with Varys and started second turn with incredible economy (2 Kingsroads, Noble Cause). What was my surprise when somewhere in fifth turn he revealed Marched to the Wall. After I explain him that fact that its effect is "cannot be saved" and he can use it against my Varys in first turn I am sure he won t do similar mistake next times. This is what is this game about. About mistakes, slow and painful learning and finally GREAT REWARD.

IMABUNNEH

IMABUNNEH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Play it a lot. Same way you get better at anything at all ever. Practice.

Barnie25

Barnie25

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 589 posts

Play it a lot. Same way you get better at anything at all ever. Practice.

This is actually not necessarily true, you can play all you want but if you don't develop a certain understanding, a way to look at things you might not improve. Be critical and think about what should be the best plays and why.

IMABUNNEH

IMABUNNEH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

This is actually not necessarily true, you can play all you want but if you don't develop a certain understanding, a way to look at things you might not improve. Be critical and think about what should be the best plays and why.

Sure but other people already covered the "read up the things on wtf to actually do".

But you can read all the theory you want, you still need to ACTUALLY play it. I can read how to punch, if I don't punch anything I will still do it wrong.

Barnie25

Barnie25

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 589 posts
Its an iterative process you don't just read or just play. Have a purpose with all that you do that is that I am saying. Be methodical if you really want to make a leap.