Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Worth Getting Into?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

tdnordine

tdnordine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

I have a question as a follow on to a few people saying that you don't need more than one core. I play other LCGs and multiple cores are almost compulsory as they contain only one copy of some very good cards. Is that not the case here? Are the ones without 3 copies in the core not good or just not necessary in a non-competitive game? I'm a completionist so this makes me twitchy :(

I share your completionist nature, and having just started playing this game myself recently, I think the main point about not buying 3 cores is this: Start with 1 Core, expand with the saga expansions and cycles, and pick up more cores as you find you want to. As a completionist I know I will end up with 3 cores, but I don't need them right now.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

I think 2 core is good.(especially if youre making decks for multiple people) 3 isn't worth it just for another unexpected courage. 

• OKTarg and Valdemart like this

MightyToenail

MightyToenail

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
Since it is cooperative, it doesn't matter as much not having 3 stone or 3 Steward of Gondor.

alpha5099

alpha5099

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

I played this a bit a few years ago (as I recall, it was during some lull in the game near the end of the Dwarrowdelf cycle), and I've been considering getting back into it. I have a Core Set and the first two or three Mirkwood packs (I'll need to check my collection, I can't rightly remember if I picked up Rhosgobel or not). It sounds like the advice for a potential returning player would be the same, to pick up the rest of the Mirkwood cycle?

I was also thinking one of the Saga Expansions might be a good way to give the game another swing. I read through the New Player Buying Guide over at Tales from the Cards, and it sounded like The Black Riders might be a good choice. Thoughts?

Serazu

Serazu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Here's a recent post of mine from FFG's official site, relevant to your case:

For a starting player, my piece of advice would be to focus on the first two cycles and then jump to the sagas. Heirs, Voice, the Realm and the Havens can wait.

As far as the APs of those cycles are concerned, I'd say that Foundations of Stone and Shadow and Flame are the absolutely essential, since they provide loads of excellent cards and fun quests. Return to Mirkwood is also necessary if one wants to build a powerful Dwarf deck once he jumps into the Hobbit boxes. From then on, it depends. The Hunt for Gollum, the Conflict at the Carrock, The Dead Marches and the Watcher in the Water contain many useful player cards and very powerful heroes, save Bilbo who is... controversial. If I was starting the game anew, my first steps would be:

1. Core Set

2. The third copy of all the X2 cards in the CS. This bundle is modestly priced on the ebay and very useful to have.

3. The Hunt for Gollum

4. Conflict at the Carrock

(With all the above, all the quests in the CS and the two in the APs are beaten with a Spirit / Lore / a splash of Leadership deck without much hassle. The Dol Guldur would be impossible solo, however. It's ok. It's meant to be very difficult for solo play)

5. Khazad Dum

(Its three quests will be beaten with the above sphere combination and the cards collected till then, though the 7th level will be a toss-up most of the time)

6. Foundations of Stone

7. Shadow and Flame

8. Enter the LotR saga.

If money was really tight, I'd drop "3" and "4",  though I suspect I wouldn't be able to finish any quest save the very first one till FoS and SaF were entered into the equation.

But really, "1,5,6,7" are mandatory. I also cannot recommend "2" enough.

In a few words: Just go for stuff from the first two cycles and then jump into the sagas. Ignore the other cycles, either for now or forever depending on your commitment to the game.

• alpha5099 and Lannitik like this

alpha5099

alpha5099

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

2. The third copy of all the X2 cards in the CS. This bundle is modestly priced on the ebay and very useful to have.

How about a second copy of the Core Set singletons? Several of those seem like they would be worth having more copies of, but maybe in practice they aren't as worthwhile. Buying a set of the 2x and 1x CS cards is only a bit more than a CS (based on CoolStuffInc's price), and I don't end up with all the extra wasted cards, and if it ever came to buying the final set of 1x cards, it's actually cheaper than the two cores.

Serazu

Serazu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
This bundle is more expensive than the one I suggested and doesn't even come near in terms of importance. The only two cards from that which would be great to have more than X1 would be the Unexpected Courage and the Horn of Gondor (which is not as powerful as it used to be however after its errata). You don't really need a second Celebrian's Stone, for instance. It's one of those uniques you can get away with a single copy and the Watcher in the Water AP sports a much more powerful attachment with a similar function, albeit only for Aragorn. And so on. If you 're willing to pay a sum equal to two AP's or one deluxe's monetary worth for that bundle, go ahead. I'd personally suggest to go for the new stuff however.
  • alpha5099 likes this

hanotsri

hanotsri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I just bought back into the game after selling my young collection a couple of months ago. I went with two cores, the first six APs, and Khazad-Dum. I'll finish out Dwarrowdelf and then move to the first Hobbit expansion.
  • Serazu likes this

Serazu

Serazu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

I just bought back into the game after selling my young collection a couple of months ago. I went with two cores, the first six APs, and Khazad-Dum. I'll finish out Dwarrowdelf and then move to the first Hobbit expansion.

Definitely, the optimal steps (though the second CS could have been avoided). After the Hobbit, move to the Lord saga.

MightyToenail

MightyToenail

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
I got Heirs of Numenor and the Hobbit sagas after I finished Mirkwood and Dwarrowdelf (skipping Emyn Muil, of course), and I must say that even though I consider myself a competent Lotr player, it took me like four tries to beat Into Ithilien, and three for Siege of Cair Andros, and I still have trouble with them (which may have something to do with the fact that I haven't gotten any more Lotr stuff since Heirs, I'm getting Black Riders and Road Darkens soon). I would recommend waiting on Heirs until you have all of the sagas.

MightyToenail

MightyToenail

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
Also for Nightmares Passage Through Mirkwood is a must, and Carrock is very fun, while Dead Marshes takes what was the second easiest scenario and makes it horribly difficult. Those are the only three I own.
  • alpha5099 likes this

alpha5099

alpha5099

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Following the advice in this thread, I picked up Dead Marshes and Return to Mirkwood (skipped Emyn Muil), and got Khazad-Dum, Under Hill and Over Hill, and The Black Riders, and I'm still waiting on a set of the 2x Core Set cards from eBay. Once the Dwarrowdelf reprints come out (soon, I hope), I'll pick up Foundation of Stone and Shadow and Flame. That should be more than enough LotR for the immediate time being, later I'll finish off Dwarrowdelf and pick up some more Saga expansions.

• Serazu and MightyToenail like this

MightyToenail

MightyToenail

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts

Following the advice in this thread, I picked up Dead Marshes and Return to Mirkwood (skipped Emyn Muil), and got Khazad-Dum, Under Hill and Over Hill, and The Black Riders, and I'm still waiting on a set of the 2x Core Set cards from eBay. Once the Dwarrowdelf reprints come out (soon, I hope), I'll pick up Foundation of Stone and Shadow and Flame. That should be more than enough LotR for the immediate time being, later I'll finish off Dwarrowdelf and pick up some more Saga expansions.

That sounds good!

vacatedboat

vacatedboat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi 

Ive just started playing this game and going to take some of this posts advice. I have got the core set and dead marshes and a few others. Anybody know a good place to purchase the adventure packs. For example the hunt for gollum is impossible for me (international shipping). I have Khazrd-dum and foundation in stone. 

I may resort to playing these on OCTGN but really like the physical cards.

Many thanks.

craftEcowgirl

craftEcowgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Just bought this set:
LOTR core
Khazad-dum Expansion
The Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill
The Battle of Lake-town
The Massing at Osgiliath
The Hunt for Gollum

What should I buy next? Wanna play both 2 player and try it solo.

Best way to sort the cards?