Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Yoda's Hut - Community Suggested Decks Recorded Games

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

Over the past few days, I've had a blast playing a bunch of decks suggested by the community in the other thread I posted for Yoda's Hut.  On Saturday, Jerry and I got in several games playing different suggested decks against each other.  We plan to do co-commentary together for those games when we get the chance, but that will probably be another week or so due to his schedule. 

To help get more content up sooner, on Monday I made the 50 minute drive out to Gamer's Armory in Cary, NC outside of Raleigh for their Star Wars LCG game night.  Their owner, Scott Blanton, was kind enough to let me set up my video camera and record some games.  Justin (jt1623 on the boards) was up for playing games under the camera.  Justin is a really good player who edged me out at Store Championship at Gamer's Armory to win on SoS.  I knew the suggested decks I brought would be up for a challenge as I told Justin to play whatever he wanted.  We had lots of fun games nonetheless and recorded most of them.  Technically difficulties prevented 2 of my wins from being recorded which was disappointing since those games showed what the suggested decks could do.  It was a lot of fun though and I thank Justin for playing a bunch of games.

All in all I think between the games Jerry and I played and the games I played against Justin out at Gamer's Armory, we used 16 different decks submitted by the community. 

I did solo commentary for this first video just to get some content up, since it's a quick game. 

In this first game,  I played a DS deck suggested by lackofvision.  The goal of the deck seemed to be to use the Superlaser or Core Tarkin's ability to try to take out Dark Genocide more easily.  

Navy

2x Ultimate Power

2x Fall of the Jedi

2x Counsel of the Sith

2x Emperor's Web

2x Merciless Plans

Justin played a Smuggler/Rebel pilot/vehicle deck in this game.  His decklist was

Smuggler

2x That Bucket o' Bolts

2x Breaking the Blockade

2x Defense of Yavin 4

2x Rogue Squadron Assault

2x Heroes of the Rebellion

Can pilot vehicles do okay when matched up against the core Tarkin and Sith rather than IE Tarkin?  Watch and find out!

I've made arrangements for another special guest commentator to join me for the next couple of videos from the Gamer's Armory games.  We should get that commentary recorded this weekend so be on the lookout for those in the next several days.  Until then, hope everyone enjoys the video.  Thanks for watching and thanks to everyone who submitted decklists. 

• Muddervader, Majestaat, chunkygorillas and 2 others like this

Majestaat

Majestaat

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1913 posts

Man, I miss those pre-Moment of Triumph days.

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

Yeah, during that game I certainly remember thinking that it would have been nice to have had IE Tarkin in there instead of Core Tarkin just to have a chance of wiping the board with MoT.   Oh well.  

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Cool game. It certainly inspired me to put my RSX Blockade deck back together, that thing is a riot. Small error; Wes' ability only works when he's piloting Fighters and Speeders. Not a huge deal casually since Justin could have played him on the Y-Wing or switched seats with Han on Rogue Nine, but something that could bite you in a more competitive setting.

• yodaman likes this

LackOfVision

LackOfVision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Haha well I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry after seeing my deck get CRUSHED like that :D

I can assure you it's worked pretty well in my own local meta - but I have to say, it's never faced a swarmy vehicle deck like Justin played. Just goes to show that you should test decks against as wide a variety of opposing decks as possible, I suppose.

Anyway, thanks for playing it Yodaman, I think your idea of asking the community for deck ideas was a really good one, and I appreciate you giving my deck a go. Like I've said before, although I love the game I'm a relatively inexperienced player and sadly there aren't very many tournaments near where I live, so so far I've not been able to test my mettle in a competitive setting. All these games that you're posting are good learning material, and even more so for me when it's a deck that I've designed. That one in particular was a deck I built and played independently without looking online for what the "strongest" decks are...so while it got hammered in the game that you played, I still stand by the concept and won't be chucking it in the bin just yet ;)

Looking forward to watching more as and when you post them! :)

• yodaman likes this

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

I actually only got to play that deck once, lackofvision.  I suspect it would do better than that most of the time.  I really didn't have the best start against something like Justin played.  I was hoping for protectors or regular resources and didn't get them even after a mulligan.  He also got a good swarm out early.  I thought I had a chance to stabilize with Vader and the Sith saber, but once Han hit the board as a pilot, I knew I was toast.   I'd definitely try it again.  I was just switching decks pretty much every game that day to get as many different ones in as I could.  The only decks I played more than once that day were the two that won the first time and didn't get recorded so I played them again in the same match-up and lost.  So it goes.  :)

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

@ pantsyg - we both completely missed that about Wes in that game.  I think once Han hit the board, as I mentioned above, I knew it was over anyway.  :)

LackOfVision

LackOfVision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Hahaha yes, so it goes indeed :)

That's one of the things I love about this game actually - you never quite know if your deck is going to fire on all cylinders or not, and a lot depends on the match-up too. That particular deck has not only won games for me but utterly dominated them, like moving the dial to 12 with only a couple of damage on my objectives and not a single LS unit left on the board kind of stuff... So in a way (though I was of course horrified :D) it was good to see how badly it could get mauled if the circumstances were right (or wrong, from my point of view!).

Also, this reminds me of one thing you said before in your main Yoda's Hut thread - it's good to see you and your usual opponent Jerry playing decks that are not necessarily top-tier competitive. While I have massive respect for the top-tier players who frequent these forums (and am hoping to be able to play competitively myself some time if I can find a tournament close by that I can actually make it to), it's good to have content that is not always solely aimed at the competitive scene. It's probably stating the obvious, and I'm sure it's true for all of these card games, but there's so much more to the game than just elite-level play. If you're lucky enough to have a group of like-minded friends to play with, as I am, then there's almost infinite fun to be had from just looking through your cards, building decks and trying them out. Ulitimately, it's Star Wars, and I'm sure that love for Star Wars is something we all have in common here, despite our various different ways of approaching the game.

To cut a long story short, please keep up the good work, it's much appreciated! :)

• yodaman likes this

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

Thanks.  I appreciate the support and am glad you're enjoying the videos.

j1623

j1623

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I appreciate you making the trip and letting me test a lot of different builds against you. I always learn a lot every time, and I hope we can keep this up again more in the future. Maybe we could get some more good deck testing time before regionals next month. Sorry about the Wes misplay there. I was just throwing everything all in, and probably didn't read the card well before loading all those pilots in to end the game. I really liked this deck though. I'm just sad all those pilots get crushed by newer Tarkin. It still can put on good pressure though. I'm curious to see how it will fare against Navy.

• yodaman likes this

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

No problem about Wes. It really didn't matter in that game as you had it anyway. 

We definitely need to get more games in.  Hopefully next Monday will work again.

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

This newest episode of Yoda's Hut features another game between myself and Justin during the weekly Star Wars LCG Game Night at Gamer's Armory in Cary, NC. 

This game features commentary from myself and special guest, darth_bs!  Much thanks to darth_bs for taking a break from his Frozen in Carbonite work to help me out.

In this game, I played a Smugglers deck that was suggested in the other thread by pantsyg.  Fayde voted for me to play it as well after seeing the list.  The deck is meant to use some of the newer Smuggler cards.  I found myself wishing I had EoD Lando or Chewie's set in the deck, but it was fun to play anyway.

The LS deck I played was:

Smugglers

2x Asteroid Sanctuary

2x The False Report

2x Impersonating a Deity

1x Questionable Contacts

1x Along the Gamor Run

1x Fortune and Fate

1x Sowers of Dissension.

Justin played a Navy deck in this game.  His deck was:

Navy

1x Imperial Command

2x Death and Despayre

1x Last Grand Admiral

2x Tarkin Doctrine

2x Might of the Empire

2x Enforced Loyalty

Do Smugglers have what it takes against a Navy deck featuring the power sets of IE?  Will there be a Lobot sighting?  Time will tell!

Thanks again to everyone who's been watching.  I hope you've been enjoying the games. 

Look for more Yoda's Hut episodes featuring decks suggested by the community and guest commentators over the next couple of weeks!  Hopefully, I'll get new games up every couple of days if all goes well. 

• Majestaat likes this

j1623

j1623

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey man good game again. Sorry I was playing Navy. I wanted to try something new, and because of my love of Sith this was actually new for me.

Side note: I can't hear your fellow commenter. Not sure if it's just me or something wrong with the audio.
  • yodaman likes this

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

Hey man good game again. Sorry I was playing Navy. I wanted to try something new, and because of my love of Sith this was actually new for me.

Side note: I can't hear your fellow commenter. Not sure if it's just me or something wrong with the audio.

He does speak British. ;-)

Having played similar S&S decks Make Your Own Luck has to be played as a trick in their turn. Especially against Navy. Winning the Force struggle and turning off Enforced Loyalty with balance damage is such a neat trick to pull off. S&S are always going to struggle against that sort of deck though. They just don't do enough burst damage to punch through objectives before the damage gets returned at them, and they really want to grind out multiple objectives at the same time which Tarkin Doctrine is really good against. 

Outmaneuver would have been boss though, especially on the turn when all those resources were tapped out. 

• yodaman and darthbs like this

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

I'll definitely check on the audio for the next video.  He was a bit quiet, but I can hear him.  As Jarratt mentioned, darth_bs is British.  When we recorded it was pretty late where he was over in the UK so that may have impacted things too.   

Definite mistake on my part not waiting to play Make Your Own Luck there.  Also, I should have saved resources to attack the turn I deployed Falcon since I could have.  Oh well.

darthbs

darthbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1059 posts
My apologies, im not really a loud speaker and as Yodaman said it being late at night I couldnt go over a certain range without risk of waking my family up.

Also it being the first one I was hesitant on speaking too much as I didn't want to cut in too much on what Yodaman was saying.

I think once you build up that co commentator relationship things will gel a lot better.

Anyhow I had a lot of fun doing it and hopefully will reappear in the future.

As for the content and as I said in my cast what Yodaman is doing is great for the community. May he continue to keep up the great work he does for the community.

Maybe in the future for a laugh we could try and do some over the top WWE style commentating. That would be fun.
  • yodaman likes this

Majestaat

Majestaat

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1913 posts

For the record, I had no problem hearing you and everything was pretty clear.

A little detail, yodaman: it's stated in your post that the LS deck was requested, but in the video, it says it's the DS one. 

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

Whoops, thanks Majestaat.  That was certainly an accidental type-o.  It was late when I put it together last night.

It was definitely the LS deck that was suggested not the DS one.  

In my games against Justin, I was the only one playing decks suggested by the community.

• Majestaat likes this

j1623

j1623

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

The audio is great on my computer, so I guess the issue is with my phone/headphones. Sorry to bring up an issue that wasn't an issue lol.

I will be happy to play suggested decks too if people want to see particular matchups. I'm just getting used to some of the newer stuff since I was late on buying some of them. I was playing last store championships without Imperial Entanglements. The navy I was playing there was pretty solid, but I think there are better builds out there for it. I did have a nice layout this game though. The Imperials are no joke. 

j1623

j1623

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Sorry if I was playing slow too. I was slow at doing the math sometimes lol.