Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Lord of the Rings: the Card Game Progression Series (The Hive Tyrant)

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

TheHiveTyrant

TheHiveTyrant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Hello, viewers! My name is Mitch Desgrosellier, and alongside co-host Matthew Dempsey, I'm pleased to announce the beginning of the new The Lord of the Rings: the Card Game Progression Series!

In this series of videos, Mattew and I intend to re-experience our favorite Living Card Game from its very beginning. Together, we will discuss and subsequently play through all available, official products and expansions for The Lord of the Rings: the Card Game sequentially, restricting ourselves to building decks using only player cards which were available to us at the time of each individual product’s original retail release. However, though Matthew and I will use only a limited card pool, we shall regardless adhere to all errata and rulings contained within the most up to date version of the official FAQ, hopefully making this series informative and entertaining to those players both new to the game and veteran alike.

All new videos in this series will be posted below!

Want to help someone learn how to play LOTR LCG? Please show them:

The Lord of the Rings: the Card Game - Complete Tutorial and How to Play Guide

To get in touch with Mitch, you can use any of the following forms of social media:
FacebookTwitter; ConquestHiveTyrant@gmail.com

Want to support the Progression Series? Visit my Patreon!

To see what Matthew is up to, check out The Grey Company podcast, and be sure to contact him via their Facebook!

• Tobogan, RichardPlunkett, thanatopsis and 4 others like this

TheHiveTyrant

TheHiveTyrant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Lore (CORE) Player Card Review | LOTR LCG | Evaluation Series Episode 4
Passage Through Mirkwood | LOTR LCG | Progression Series Episode 1
Journey Along the Anduin | LOTR LCG | Progression Series Episode 2
Escape from Dol Guldur | LOTR LCG | Progression Series Episode 3

The Shadows of Mirkwood Cycle
The Hunt for Gollum Player Card Review | LOTR LCG | Evaluation Series Episode 5
The Hunt for Gollum | LOTR LCG | Progression Series Episode 4
Conflict at the Carrock Player Card Review | LOTR LCG | Evaluation Series Episode 6
Conflict at the Carrock | LOTR LCG | Progression Series Episode 5
A Journey to Rhosgobel Player Card Review | LOTR LCG | Evaluation Series Episode 7
A Journey to Rhosgobel | LOTR LCG | Progression Series Episode 6
The Dead Marshes | LOTR LCG | Progression Series Episode 8
Return to Mirkwood Player Card Review | LOTR LCG | Evaluation Series Episode 10
Return to Mirkwood | LOTR LCG | Progression Series Episode 9
Shadows of Mirkwood | LOTR LCG | Evaluation Series Episode 11

Print on Demand Scenarios
The Massing at Osgiliath | LOTR LCG | Progression Series Episode 10​​​​​​​

Khazad-dûm
The Watcher in the Water | LOTR LCG | Progression Series Episode 16
The Long Dark Player Card Review | LOTR LCG | Evaluation Series Episode 16
The Long Dark | LOTR LCG | Progression Series Episode 17

Feedback, comments, and constructive criticism are always welcome, and be sure to suggest what kind of content you'd like to see coming out of this channel! Thank you for watching, and we appreciate your support and encouragement.

• alexbobspoons likes this

TheHiveTyrant

TheHiveTyrant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
After a great many unfortunate obstacles and delays, the second episode of The Lord of the Rings: the Card Game Progression Series is finally live! Today, Mitch and Matthew assess and evaluate the Tactics hero and player cards of the CORE set. Do engage with us by sharing your own personal thoughts, opinions, and memories of these cards in the comments, and enjoy our celebration of and throwback to the very beginnings of #LOTRLCG!

TheHiveTyrant

TheHiveTyrant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
The latest installment of the Lord of the Rings: the Card Game Progression Series is live! Today, co-hosts Mitch and Matthew sit down to deconstruct the Spirit sphere of influence contents of the CORE set. I hope you enjoy our discussion, and be sure to share your own thoughts, opinions, and memories of these in the comments!

TheHiveTyrant

TheHiveTyrant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Today, Matthew and I conclude our player card evaluation of the Lord of the Rings: the Card Game CORE set! On the agenda for this video is Lore, and as always, be sure to share your own thoughts, opinion, perspective, and experience with any or all of these cards in the comments! Plus, with our CORE set now covered, you can look forward to our first several scenario play-throughs to come soon.

Note: I must sincerely apologize for the reduced audio quality of this video. Matthew's recording unintentionally contained a significant amount of crackling and popping, and my efforts at noise removal and reduction have significantly affected his vocal fidelity. Hopefully this is just a one-time issue, and that you still find some redeeming value herein.

Also, if you've yet to check out The Hive Tyrant on iTunes or SoundCloud, these Progression Series episodes are also available in audio-only format! So, I appreciate your understanding, and hope you enjoy. Take care!

TheHiveTyrant

TheHiveTyrant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
After far too many weeks of waiting, I present the latest installment of the Lord of the Rings: the Card Game Progression Series! Today, Matthew and I tackle the first quest of the CORE set - Passage Through Mirkwood - and things could scarcely go any more unexpectedly. So, here's hoping you enjoy the first scenario playthrough episode of our series, and look forward to more entries in this ongoing project in the future!

Note: scheduling between he and I has been much more difficult than anticipated, but rest assured that this series shall remain a permanent project. Take care, and do leave your thoughts and feedback in the comments!

• 4wallz and alexbobspoons like this

TheHiveTyrant

TheHiveTyrant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Another episode of the Lord of the Rings: the Card Game Progression Series is live! Today, Matthew and I continue onward from Mirkwood in exploring the trio of scenarios from the CORE set. This time, we tackle Journey Along the Anduin! Will our first encounter with a Hill Troll end in victory, or catastrophe?

Be sure to tune in, find out, and enjoy! I'd forgotten both how much fun *and* how much effort entries in this series are to produce, though I hope you're entertained by this new video. Matthew and I certainly had a blast while recording it! So take care, and look forward to many more future episodes to come.

TheHiveTyrant

TheHiveTyrant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
The community had long clamored for the return of the regrettably discontinued LOTR LCG Progression Series, so who was I to continue to deny them?

Today, Matthew​ and I *attempt* to conclude our coverage of the CORE set in one last video, by daring to venture into the dark, ominous tower of The Necromancer. With one of our brethren having been lead astray in Mirkwood and then abducted through foul magics, have we any hope to break into and subsequently Escape from Dol Guldur? Or, shall our fellowship fail, and will we join our lost comrade in being trapped, forever rotting in forgotten  dungeons?

Be sure to tune in, find out, and enjoy, and look forward to many more Progression Series episodes to come soon! I could scarcely be more pleased in having finally returned to the community, and could be no less excited about my bright future of producing many more LOTR LCG videos. Until next time, take care!

TheHiveTyrant

TheHiveTyrant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Ready far earlier than expected, I present another installment of the LOTR LCG Evaluation Series! Before testing our mettle against The Hunt for Gollum scenario, Matthew and I first seek to review and assess our very first Adventure Pack's new hero and player cards. Do share with us your own thoughts and experiences past and present in the comments, and enjoy!

As an aside - Matthew and I may not be able to release episodes in this series as often as we would like, but this new project has quickly become an absolute labor of love for he and I. We thank you for joining us on our new journey together, and hope you continue to enjoy our ongoing Progression Series for months and years to come!

TheHiveTyrant

TheHiveTyrant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Today, Matthew and I take on the first scenario of the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle! In an attempt to track down the whereabouts of the wretched and vilesome Gollum, we must first discover his trail – however, cunning hunters from Mordor will do their utmost to hinder and ruin us. Shall we succeed, and begin our pursuit of the villain in earnest? Or, shall our Fellowship be scattered and utterly broken? Be sure to tune in to find out, and please share with us your own experiences with The Hunt for Gollum in the comments!

TheHiveTyrant

TheHiveTyrant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Hot off the digital presses, another installment of the Progression Series is live! Today, Matthew and I assess the new hero and player cards of Conflict at the Carrock. Be sure to share your past and present perspectives, opinions, and experiences with these new deck-building options in the comments, and enjoy!

alduc

alduc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Off-topic comment: after hearing you say "Magalie Villeneuve", I'm quite curious on how you pronounce your own last name.

More to the point: I really enjoy both the card evaluations and the quest playthroughs, it's making me relive all the fun I had with the game during the first months of its existence.

TheHiveTyrant

TheHiveTyrant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
It looks like Matthew and I had the poor fortune of revealing the worst encounter card of all, this afternoon! Technical difficulties :(

While I investigate this problem (and everyone's favorite host of the Progression Series looks into purchasing a new PC), I humbly request your patience and understanding if it takes a fair while longer than expected to successfully record our next LOTR LCG episode. Sorry, everybody! I can't wait for the day that this series finally falls into a regular schedule of production.

Rest assured, though, that neither he nor I are going anywhere! We shall see this series through, regardless of how long it may take us.

TheHiveTyrant

TheHiveTyrant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Off-topic comment: after hearing you say "Magalie Villeneuve", I'm quite curious on how you pronounce your own last name.

More to the point: I really enjoy both the card evaluations and the quest playthroughs, it's making me relive all the fun I had with the game during the first months of its existence.

Haha! When it came to attempting to pronounce Magali's name correctly, I was going off of memory from her Cardboard of the Rings interview. I personally pronounce my "Americanized French" last name, "Desgrosellier," as Duh-Gross-ell-Ear. Glad to hear that you're enjoying the series, in any case! I, too, am absolutely reveling in nostalgia.

• alduc likes this

TheHiveTyrant

TheHiveTyrant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I just wanted to update everyone that the Progression Series has finally returned!

After a month-long hiatus because of broken computers and scheduling conflicts, Matthew and I just finished recording a 90-minute long video. Look forward to watching us play through Conflict at the Carrock soon, because it just might be our most entertaining video yet! From here on out, hopefully you can expect much, much more regular content. Thanks to everyone for your patience and understanding!

• OKTarg and 4wallz like this

TheHiveTyrant

TheHiveTyrant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Having at last overcome our technical terrors, the Progression Series is finally back! Today, I welcome you to join Matthew and I as we attempt to answer the plight of Grimbeorn the Old.

Shall we succeed in expunging four vile and loathsome Trolls from the realm of the Beornings, or instead, shall we find ourselves minced, boiled, or just sat upon and squashed into jelly?

This is without a doubt the most fun Matthew and I have ever had while recording a video, so I do hope you tune in to find out. So, follow the link, take care, and enjoy the latest bit of nostalgia that the Progression Series has to offer!

Please share your own "Conflict at the Carrock" experiences in the YouTube comments, and I thank everyone again for their patience. Take care!

• istaril, 4wallz and estyles like this

TheHiveTyrant

TheHiveTyrant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
To help make up for the prolonged Progression Series absence, I'm pleased to already offer up another new video! Today, regale yourself with Matthew and I musing on the player cards from A Journey to Rhosgobel. As always, you're strongly encouraged to share your personal sentiments in the YouTube comments!

Which of these new deck-building options in our series are hits, and which do you consider misses? Which were superb in their day, and are any still useful at present? Do you agree with my appraisal and Matthew's, or could we scarcely be any less correct in severely undervaluing some of these cards?

I hope your enjoy hearing our thoughts - we look forward to yours - and until next episode, when we tackle the titular scenario, I wish you all well!

• 4wallz likes this

TheHiveTyrant

TheHiveTyrant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Today, learn all about the care of magical creatures in the latest installment of The Lord of the Rings: the Card Game Progression Series!

Do co-hosts Mitch and Matthew possess the speed and skill to save the grievously injured Wilyador from mortal wounds, or instead, shall they fail and lose one of Middle-earth's most beloved Eagles?

Be sure to tune to find out, and share your own opinions of and play experiences with "A Journey to Rhosgobel" in the YouTube comments. We always love to hear from you! Enjoy the video, take care, and I hope you enjoy your start to the weekend.

TheHiveTyrant

TheHiveTyrant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Though the year is approaching its close, the Progression Series is thriving!

Today, Matthew and I take pause during our ongoing search for the loathsome and abominable Gollum - and between each chapter of our perilous journey, it seems that we always encounter new allies. So, before we confront the imminently upcoming new challenge presented by our over-arching quest, please join us for our evaluation of the new player cards of The Hills of Emyn Muil!

Do you agree with my sentiments and Matthew's on each of these options, or do you find us to be unfairly kind or critical? What are your personal experiences with our new hero and player cards, and what are your own favorite combos therewith?

Do share your own opinions and perspective in the comments, and I hope you enjoy this new video. Take care, everybody, and I very much look forward to hearing from you!

TheHiveTyrant

TheHiveTyrant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
The path of their elusive quarry has lead our heroes to the momentary reprieve of a green and verdant clearing, where they find themselves surrounded on all sides by stone ridges, brambles, and many tall pillars of unyielding rock. In the midst of this unforgiving, but solemnly beautiful landscape, they see in the far distance the great Anduin cascading over Rauros to the South, while to the East and West stand the twin, formidable peaks of Amon Lhaw and Amon Hen.

While the tell-tale signs of nearby Orcs abound, and begin to increase in frequency, the path of the creature Gollum has grown all but entirely cold; our heroes are now faced with the task of scouring the Emyn Muil in attempt to rediscover its trajectory and whereabouts, lest they never manage to find their game. Closer than lends comfort, the bark and eerie howl of slathering Wargs suddenly echoes off of stone...

After a long week of waiting, I am honored to present another installment of The Lord of the Rings: the Card Game Progression Series! Today, Matthew and I tackle The Hills of Emyn Muil.

Please feel encouraged to share your own memories and play experiences in the YouTube comments, and I dearly hope you enjoy another video. I can make no promises, alas, but Matthew and I are going to *attempt* to increase the frequency with which we produce and deliver episodes of this series. So until next time, take care, and look forward to more harrowing LOTR LCG content to come soon! Thanks for watching.

• 4wallz likes this