Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Jedi decks without Luke or Yoda

- - - - - casual fun experimental

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

LackOfVision

LackOfVision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

A friend of mine has been doing well recently with a deck containing 2 x Forgotten Heroes, and as I hadn't used core Obi Wan in quite some time, it got me thinking about lesser-played Jedi sets and possible unorthodox builds. It's been fun trying to come up with some creative ideas, and rather than just build a deck without MTFBWY, I decided to go a couple of steps further and try building something that doesn't use Yoda or Luke at all.

This is what I came up with:

2 x Forgotten Heroes

2 x Journey to Dagobah

2 x A Deep Commitment

1 x Self Preservation

1 x Flight of the Crow

1 x Mysteries of the Rim

1 x Preparation for Battle

I've not used it yet, but it seems like it should be fairly solid - 80 pips, 6 resources, plenty of blast, cheap tactics, and a reasonable amount Force User and Shielding synergies. Obviously it's not going to be tier 1 or competitive, but I'm excited to try it out and feel like it should make a nice change from the standard MTFBWY/Hero's Trial/Survivors-type build.

Has anyone else tried something similar? Would be cool to hear people's thoughts and other ideas for "off-the-beaten-track" deck builds.

darthbs

darthbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
I've wanted to try a swarm deck.

Base being

Kanan
Lost masters
Self preservation

not sure what else to add.

It would be good to drop a lost master off of spark so the first turn force struggle is interesting.

From then on you want to force lock to keep those gotals powerful.

Could drop the daughters in but I've never used that set.

Mysteries would fit nice and probably secret of Yavin.
So shield those gotals to drop the blast.

Never top tier but might be fun.
  • DavFlamerock and LackOfVision like this

LackOfVision

LackOfVision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I've wanted to try a swarm deck.

Base being

Kanan
Lost masters
Self preservation

not sure what else to add.

It would be good to drop a lost master off of spark so the first turn force struggle is interesting.

From then on you want to force lock to keep those gotals powerful.

Could drop the daughters in but I've never used that set.

Mysteries would fit nice and probably secret of Yavin.
So shield those gotals to drop the blast.

Never top tier but might be fun.

Yeah, I reckon there's definitely potential there. The sad fact is that when I read your post my first thought was "Oh, May The Force would slot nicely in there..." ;)

If we ignore the title of this thread temporarily, then 2 x MTFBWY, 1 x Gamor Run and 1 x Sowers of Dissension could round that deck out quite nicely (obviously bury Lobot's objective if you draw it and hope it doesn't come out mid-game!).

Trying to keep it Luke/Yoda-free definitely makes it more difficult, because across Self Preservation, The Forgotten Masters, Mysteries of the Rim and Knowledge and Defense, there are a grand total of zero resource enhancements. I honestly think that Jedi deck diversity is hampered by the way that resources are distributed throughout their sets.

This is a place where Out of Their Element could have slotted in quite well, but then the text on the enhancement potentially screws you quite badly if your deck includes a significant number of neutral cards - which, if you're running Kanan's set and the Gotals (or any Ewoks for that matter!) it does. So that's a shame.

Ties of Blood could fit in, maybe?

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
Resources + Mains is a design decision I think; after all, who sees a Star Wars game and tries to make a deck specifically excluding the central character! This is an interesting endeavor though. I think Leia wants a spot, she brings a resource and a solid unit and shielding both on the chud and in Protection. Rahn is common but also brings a living resource and a shielding Fate card. Kanan strikes me as a good pick as well, since he's a sort of Jedi Motti and you've packed lots of 2- drops into the deck as is. If you go that route, Forgotten Masters is worth considering. You might also look to Following Fate with all your cheap Force users.

I think Journey to Dagobah is a weak link. Besides, red 5 is Lukes call sign ;)

darthbs

darthbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
I'm think maybe Hero's beginnings could also be useful.

You could bounce Owen into play with spark and it gets round the limited play. The land speeder is a good unit.

The vaporator can be used to cycle off a card that's not a two drop.

Unfinished to pull back your mains if you used them for edge etc.

LackOfVision

LackOfVision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Resources + Mains is a design decision I think; after all, who sees a Star Wars game and tries to make a deck specifically excluding the central character! This is an interesting endeavor though. I think Leia wants a spot, she brings a resource and a solid unit and shielding both on the chud and in Protection. Rahn is common but also brings a living resource and a shielding Fate card. Kanan strikes me as a good pick as well, since he's a sort of Jedi Motti and you've packed lots of 2- drops into the deck as is. If you go that route, Forgotten Masters is worth considering. You might also look to Following Fate with all your cheap Force users.

I think Journey to Dagobah is a weak link. Besides, red 5 is Lukes call sign ;)

Haha yes, for sure, from the perspective of the game overall it makes sense to put the focus on the big, well-known characters and I love Yoda and Luke as much as the next person. My point about the resource thing is just that I wish there were a few more utility/support pods that contained resources, as I feel it would give us a lot more freedom when deckbuilding. But that applies even when building "normal" decks, I think.

As far as my deck goes, Journey to Dagobah is pretty important I think, for the blast and the resources. Plus, Asteroid Base and Double Strike on a shielded Gotal is not to be sniffed at ;)

I actually played my first game with it earlier this evening and it won a reasonably solid victory against a mono-Scum deck. Will continue to test it over the weekend.

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2743 posts

It's been mentioned above, but one can't overlook the fact that besides being such good sets, all versions of Yoda as well as Core and BtS Luke have resources (although I Am a Jedi doesn't seem to get used as much as the standard ones).  It's harder to find standard resources in a lot of other Jedi sets.  Journey To Dagobah and Following Fate have R2, but he's unique so you can't get a couple of him out.   Keyan, Leia and Ferus have 2-1 resources.   It would seem like any Jedi deck that wants to leave out Yoda and Luke would probably want to include Flight of the Crow and Hero's Beginning as a core go from there. Maybe something like:

2x Flight of the Crow

2x A Hero's Beginning

2x Forgotten Heroes

2x The Forgotten Masters

1x Heroes and Legends

1x Mysteries of the Rim

Arkard

Arkard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

I like Gotals with BTS Yoda (hey, at least it's not MTFBWY yoda!), probably the best use for the fate card in Yoda's set is to turn Gotals on.

KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1890 posts
My recommendation is following fate and forward recon. Both provide you with resources and some child's to put in with kannans objective.

You'll want to bury the rebel objective for following fate. You also pick up two twists and two targets

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: casual, fun, experimental