Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Review group

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

AnesthesiaCat

AnesthesiaCat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Lovecraft=theme player, Cthulhu=wants to play the very best decks, Cultist=combo type decks. 

pretty easy (: 

Not to step on your toes but I'm pretty sure the combo player should be called Shoggoth.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

I think using a second ancient one would be a mistake though

• RichardPlunkett likes this

gramyotron

gramyotron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Shoggoth no ancient one :P

AnesthesiaCat

AnesthesiaCat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Really I was just saying it because it sounds like Shagga.

Anyhow they're monsters, not Old Ones. Basically giant Dire Amoebas.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
What about Armitage instead of Lovecraft ? Basically same character I realize since Lovecraft emphasized with and saw himself in Armitage but Armitage is in universe as opposed to the creator of it.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

the problem is a big majority of people that will play this game isnt big into the books and actual lore of the stories unlike game of thrones. So name of a character in a book won't make sense to many players. 

• RichardPlunkett likes this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
I see your point but he will likely end up in the game. He's featured as part of the story in the upcoming deluxe.

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts
I love this debate....

Thanks IronSwimSuit for starting it. ;)
  • Toqtamish likes this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

I love this debate....

Thanks IronSwimSuit for starting it. ;)

Probably worthy of it's own topic too. 

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

the problem is a big majority of people that will play this game isnt big into the books and actual lore of the stories unlike game of thrones. So name of a character in a book won't make sense to many players. 

For the record I don't read Lovecraft nor do I have any interest in it since I cannot tolerate his style of writing. Everything I have absorbed is via YouTube, Podcasts(the HP Lovecraft Literary podcast is amazing) and the FFG novels. I'm still in support of in universe names. People will get used to them. Not like everyone who plays AGoT has actually read the books after all and their names worked fine. 

• Carthoris likes this

gramyotron

gramyotron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Have you thought about the form of reviews/analysis? Investogators and all their equipment cards (including neutrals) will be easy to analyze. Story cards, locations and encounter deck (is it called so?) are another story. Showing them is pure spoiler to the players. Some cards (neutral Treacheries) can be shown but, me as a player, I would not like to see before actual gameplay - I would like to be taken by surprise by them.

I will most likely expand my blog with my own analysis, but this is something I am thinking over rigth now. I would like to play actual scenario before making a review of campaign mission as whole. This will result with two reviews

1. Player cards
  2. Scenario review without spoilers

Problem is the latter will be not possible to publish before game hits the shelves plus 2/3 days.

Has anyone of you found sollution to this? Any thoughts?

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Pretty sure we are only going to do Player cards not the enemy cards. 

Vlad3theImpaler

Vlad3theImpaler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Someone needs to come up with the dumb three player types like we have for every other LCG. Let's have an equal spread of identifiable, easily labeled traits between these...because people care about that stuff and we don't want to trigger any deep ones here on the boards.

We really DON'T need to.  If it organically happens that players tend to fit into certain identifiable archetypes, that's fine.  But trying to force it, especially before the game is even out, seems like it will just create more confusion than anything else.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

correct reviews will be just player cards. 

gramyotron

gramyotron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

I wonder how many cards that will be. It is safe to assume that scenario cards will not be in more than one copy - what would be the sense of that? Typical scenario will be about 12-15 cards, so the rest would be encounter deck (which migth be connected to scenario) and player cards.

Another mystery is if they will give 2x copy of each player card or will they give x3.

Vlad3theImpaler

Vlad3theImpaler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

I wonder how many cards that will be. It is safe to assume that scenario cards will not be in more than one copy - what would be the sense of that? Typical scenario will be about 12-15 cards, so the rest would be encounter deck (which migth be connected to scenario) and player cards.

Another mystery is if they will give 2x copy of each player card or will they give x3.

The max number of cards in a deck is 2 copies, so I don't think they would include 3 of a card...

It looks like a core set will have single copies of each class card, and duplicates of neutral cards, similar to Conquest.(looks like 4 copies of at least some neutral cards, based on the starting deck lists.)

gramyotron

gramyotron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

If you are willing to play with two characters where one is Enforcer and the other can be e.g. Survivor+Enforcer it would be good to get 3x cards. But since max numer of each card is 2 (as you mentioned) I think this is what we will get.

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

If you are willing to play with two characters where one is Enforcer and the other can be e.g. Survivor+Enforcer it would be good to get 3x cards. But since max numer of each card is 2 (as you mentioned) I think this is what we will get.

Maybe we'll get lucky and get 2x per box of staple cards that aren't economy based.