Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Man, I miss this game.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

POPULAR

Yeah, I know that's a silly thing to say when hard working folk are still pushing out fan expansions, but that's just not the same as an official tourney scene around a living card game with an active and friendly community.

SW: Destiny completely failed to fill the gap for me, so now I'm waiting for Lo5R, but damn, those were a good few years we had, eh, guys?

• sammann11, BaraBob, Etaywah and 14 others like this

FerrusManus

FerrusManus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Just imagine that "guys that makes cards" is a black box. Mb this is FFG, mb this is my mom, or mb this is aliens.
Does it make difference to you?

Its just label. Only in your head :)
Would you enjoy the new cards if it were made by FFG?
Same cards, but with FFG label?

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

I'd enjoy the new cards if I had some tournaments to play them at, and if there were a bunch of people on octgn all ready to play games with them. As it is, octgn is pretty much dead, and when you do run into someone you have to establish what card pool you're using with your opponent. 

Mostly though, its the community here that has faded somewhat, which is understandable. I used to come on here half a dozen times a day, and always find conversation about the game.

Like I say, I applaud the efforts put into the fan cards, but without a tourney scene, online matches and a lively community, it's all abstract to me.

• sammann11, Caldera, Stefan2581 and 1 other like this

FerrusManus

FerrusManus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Well BCL still running.
Sometimes there is a lot of games in octgn.
And i never asked with what cardpool to play ;)
Just played with all cards :D

dnapolitano

dnapolitano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Game is still very alive for me.  Always lively talk on the Skype group. League games through BCL. Many games for me played a week on OCTGN and some games still played in IRL. Its only dead when you believe its dead ;)

• sammann11 likes this

Kaloo

Kaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

"What is dead may never die"

• sammann11, Stefan2581, MightyToenail and 1 other like this

Ultramarine

Ultramarine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
If you enjoy playing the game, keep doing it. The game may not be as popular or vibrant as it once was but you can still find people to play with and the new cards ensure that the game will not become static anytime soon. You can start by joining the Skype group where finding someone to play on OCTGN can be quite easy.

Skyknight

Skyknight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

We still play in Copenhagen as well. Had a nice six player evening the other day, and a tournament planned for next month :)

• Ultramarine, SoulTsunami and veezya like this

Eu8L1ch

Eu8L1ch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Asklepios, I understand your position. However, I think that you could come to enjoy Conquest again if you were to change the mindset: the community is much smaller and there is a lot less activity on this forum, but it's not small to the point that you can't enjoy the game anymore.

For me the cancellation was not as big of an issue as the state in which the game was when Deathworld ended. My local community consists of three players, but it was the same even before FFG dropped support. Instead, what bothered me the most was the perspective of an endless supremacy of elite decks - which I find less appealing than the previous meta, especially considering that the game was expected to evolve not devolve.

However I really liked Apoka cards (to the point that I decided to start collaborating with them) and I think they have a vision for the future of the game which is pretty interesting.

I would suggest you to just play a few games just for fun and try out the new stuff, temporarily disregarding competitive thoughts. If all goes well, in the near future we will have an alternative to Elite spam/Kith choke, at which point even competitive play will become entertaining again.

Of course if you're completely averse to fan-made projects and/or need a solid competitive scene you might still be unhappy, but if you're not I think it'd be worth a try.

• sammann11, Ultramarine and veezya like this

Stefan2581

Stefan2581

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

I agree with You Asklepios. I think I finally got over the end of this game.

L5R is waiting. I'll see you there :-)

• Caldera likes this

Kaloo

Kaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

I've just moved house and am planning to have a Conquest shin dig in the near(ish) future (probably several weeks time). Would you and Caldera be interested in making the journey down to Stratford?

• Asklepios and Caldera like this

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

I've just moved house and am planning to have a Conquest shin dig in the near(ish) future (probably several weeks time). Would you and Caldera be interested in making the journey down to Stratford?

YES.

Though would have to work this around family life, my wife often sees me mournfully alphabetising my cards, so she's likely to be amenable.

• sammann11, Ratadin, SlaaneshDevotee and 1 other like this

Kaloo

Kaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

YES.

Though would have to work this around family life, my wife often sees me mournfully alphabetising my cards, so she's likely to be amenable.

I'll let you know when (and more importantly if) I decide to go ahead with it :)

Solaris

Solaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1242 posts

This game isn't dead to me, since there are still expansions that are coming out (albeit it's fan made, but I don't care). Yes, there are no longer official sanctioned tournaments, but that shouldn't stop us from enjoying the game that was taken away from us by the dispute of FFG and GW. 

• sammann11, Gosgosh and Skyknight like this

WarfStyxfury

WarfStyxfury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Man, just come back and play and talk with us.

Caldera

Caldera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Yes, definitely!

I'm pleased to see that the game is still alive through the various fan-made expansions (and that applies to both 'factions'), and that this forum is still active. I do agree with Asklepios though that the lack of an official 'bricks-and-mortar' tournament scene makes it harder to get excited: I was looking back at my 2016 calendar the other week and saw things like 'Store Champs', 'Regionals' and 'Nationals' written in there (in pen!), and it brought back find memories of hours spent sifting through my cards in preparation and excited anticipation.

I know the online league is still going but I'm not really into playing online; I prefer the face-to-face contact, and the physical act of holding & playing cards in their pretty turquoise & peach-coloured sleeves, and knowing you'll bump into some familiar faces who you probably only see a few times a year (at such events) but are reassuring nevertheless.

So yeah, a Conquest shindig would be most welcome, if you do decide to host one.,..
  • Ultramarine and Kaloo like this