Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Need help! What ccg to get? Original Doomtown or 7th Sea?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

doenerone

doenerone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
Title says it pretty much, I want to explore one of these classic ccg's with a few friends. Any suggestions, opinions or advice?
  • Georgetax, WesleyBem, WilliamanoVa and 1 other like this

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

There is a lot of great options.. but if you want to actually experience the CCG experience then there is really only one option... Magic the Gathering. The game actually still good and always has been, though it has some long term problems that latter games have attempted to fix.. but it is really the ONLY ccg I know of that is in current production and more importantly is (even more than a LCG) one of the games that you can find tons of players all over the place.

As for older CCGs.. many of the best have been reprinted in the last few years.. but there is one awsome hold out..

Middle Earth - Arguably one of the greatest card games ever made. I would strongly recommend trying to track it down and get into it.. the game is just a-maze-ing.

Other old CCGs I think are really great...

Dune

X-Files (yes seriously!)

Spycraft

Dune is a LONG game and can be played multiplayer. X-Files has some cool deduction concepts. Spycraft is a great game imo, and way ahead of its time.. using "IDs" like many of the modern games and Netrunner style bluffing and all that.

• doenerone likes this

veezya

veezya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Title says it pretty much, I want to explore one of these classic ccg's with a few friends. Any suggestions, opinions or advice?

7th Sea or Deadlands? Choose 7th Sea becasue it's unique game and if you want experience Deadlands just check Doomtown: Reloaded that's LCG reincarnation of classic game. 

From other old/dead CCGs i also suggest: Dark Eden, Legend of the Burning Sands and Star Wars or WARS (both from Decipher). 

• doenerone likes this

doenerone

doenerone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks for the input so far, we play MTG from time to time, I have several competitive Commander decks and a Cube, MECCG I do also own, at least a couple of boxes and boosters but I haven't tried it yet. I will definitely check the other recommendations out. Regarding Deadlands Doomtown and Doomtown: Reloaded (which I played) can someone give me his impression how those two are in comparison? I like DTR a lot but the old ccg art + what looks like a ton of released cards (high deckbuilding variety) is what makes it for me more interesting to acquire but I would like to actually know how the original plays? Does it stuff better than the reboot? Or is it strictly worse?

stevetotheizz0

stevetotheizz0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

If you are still interested in playing 7th Sea I have been maintaining some of the free online play resources and started a Discord with a bunch of PDF resources to get you going. I've really been trying to scrounge up a few more players and would be happy to teach anyone who is interested.

7th Sea Discord Group