Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Seeker Of Knowledge + Isawa Kaede

phoenix seeker of knowledge isawa kaede

Best Answer mplain , 01 September 2017 - 09:53 PM

Seeker of Knowledge seems like her ability was worded before the general rule on resolving ring effects of rings with multiple elements was added to the RRG:

Whenever a player resolves a ring effect for a ring that has multiple elements, that player may choose among those elements when the conflict's ring effect resolves.

The Seeker's effect seems to be redundant, more narrow (only applies when she wins, seems to apply only to normal ring effects), the timing is not clear (but so is Kaede's), and it's not worded like a replacement effect (Kaede's ability is).

I would say that Kaede replaces choosing the element/ring effect for both the general game rules and for Seeker of Knowledge. If you would choose an element for the Seeker, Kaede replaces that choice with "resolve all".

I strongly believe this card needs errata to put the second sentence in brackets and italics, making it a reminder text, not rules text. I hope the devs will rule as such.

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Isawa Kaede says "resolve each of that ring's effects".  Does this include effects from elements added to the ring by other effects.  For example:

- I attack with the Fire Ring and declare Isawa Kaede as an attacker. 

- Kaede gives the Fire Ring the Void element.  So the Fire Ring now has Fire and Void as it's elements.

- I play Seeker Of Knowledge into the combat. 

- She gives the Fire Ring the Air element.  So the Fire Ring now has Fire, Void and Air as it's elements.

- I win the battle.

Seeker of Knowledge says "you may chose which of the ring effects to resolve".

Keade says "instead of choosing an element to resolve, resolve each of that ring's effects".

So how do I resolve the ring in this case?  Does Kaede's text supersede the Seeker's text?  In the above case does Kaede allow me to resolve the Fire, Void and Air effect from the ring claim?

Inox

Inox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Seeker says "you may", kaede's effect is oblgatory, so I'd say that kaede wins.

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1442 posts
✓  Best Answer

Seeker of Knowledge seems like her ability was worded before the general rule on resolving ring effects of rings with multiple elements was added to the RRG:

Whenever a player resolves a ring effect for a ring that has multiple elements, that player may choose among those elements when the conflict's ring effect resolves.

The Seeker's effect seems to be redundant, more narrow (only applies when she wins, seems to apply only to normal ring effects), the timing is not clear (but so is Kaede's), and it's not worded like a replacement effect (Kaede's ability is).

I would say that Kaede replaces choosing the element/ring effect for both the general game rules and for Seeker of Knowledge. If you would choose an element for the Seeker, Kaede replaces that choice with "resolve all".

I strongly believe this card needs errata to put the second sentence in brackets and italics, making it a reminder text, not rules text. I hope the devs will rule as such.

• phillosmaster likes this

Silme

Silme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

i would resolve the matter as you proposed in my tournaments too. This is the most logical choice but i agree, a ruling could be surprising here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: phoenix, seeker of knowledge, isawa kaede