Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Unicorn Deck Discussion Thread

Unicorn Deck discussion friendship

• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

GKZhukov

GKZhukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1055 posts

Is the former world champion Kith pilot claiming he wants to run a bad deck to prove it is not terrible?
I think it is because they are both purple.

So, this may sound silly, but now that I've finally had a chance to play with them, they do actually feel a little Kith. Sure, Scorpion is the obvious "Kith & Dany adopted a baby and called it Dracarys Warleader" control/burn/counter faction, and Ponies do look at first like a simple aggro faction, but hear me out.

Unicorn will often sacrifice key battles, maybe even allowing 3 early province breaks to their opponent. Just like Kith ceding all the planets. Sitting on 2 honour feels a bit like playing with a bloodied warlord (Kith's life story). They are the closest thing to an economy faction, fairly swarmy, and even attack is often not just brute force but finesse aggro and creating multiple threats, forcing overcommits.

Or maybe it's just the purple thing. When they win Worlds 2018 that'll be another similarity I guess ;)
  • MadMagician, Atrus and FightingWalloon like this

FightingWalloon

FightingWalloon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1271 posts
I'm just looking for any excuse to play them. Everyone thought DE was weak in the core set, right?

If the Imperial cycle has a Klaivex, we will know.
  • MadMagician likes this

MadMagician

MadMagician

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

I'm just looking for any excuse to play them. Everyone thought DE was weak in the core set, right?

If the Imperial cycle has a Klaivex, we will know.

I can totally get behind a 3/3 for 4 conflict character that discards an opponents character with no fate when it enters the conflict :D

Hakkor

Hakkor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Unicorn will often sacrifice key battles, maybe even allowing 3 early province breaks to their opponent.
even attack is often not just brute force but finesse aggro and creating multiple threats, forcing overcommits.
Or maybe it's just the purple thing. When they win Worlds 2018 that'll be another similarity I guess ;)

That. And that strenght is not broadly recognized, and instead some players insist on their lack of other straightforward cards that belong to other clans / mechanic.
  • Atrus likes this

Atrus

Atrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

My limited experience with Unicorn said me a lots of things of the clan and the cards, but none of them were: This clan is weak.

The Unicorn is like playing poker, you opponent doesn't know if your attack is with a lone cavalry unit, or if it's something bigger, and thats powerful.

ellonellanfair

ellonellanfair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Agree that Talisman of the Sun can't Trigger Endless Plains. I just looked at the wording of Endless and that is indeed the case. The attachment is still great though and I hope we get a keeper role still.

GKZhukov

GKZhukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1055 posts

"Looks alright" is an understatement - you must have very high standards.
On Chasing...
There are edge cases when the province attacked and its occupant that you dislodge is relevant (often vs Crab with holdings) and also moving from neutral Earth or Pilgrimage to a weaker one but the obvious benefit is...
I am Unicorn Seeker.
I have broken 3 provinces.
I attack the 4th non-stronghold province with just 1 unbalanced unit in my first conflict (say Horde in Military).
But I can move in all my remaining balanced units if I want to.
Or use them all later in a Political attack on the Stronghold that I may even switch.
How many characters do you defend with?

What is the benefit of doing this (for the unicorn player) over just attacking the Stronghold in exactly the same manner?

sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

What is the benefit of doing this (for the unicorn player) over just attacking1 the Stronghold in exactly the same manner?

Hmmm. You got me there! :)
I thought I had seen a use for it.
You can see I've never played Unicorn.
There must be a use for the card...
Or perhaps it's just those edge cases...

I puzzled over the card and thought it must be for using a Feint attack but, as you point out, it's not needed.

So Talisman is great and Chasing rubbish. No pressure to win that Keeper role.

ellonellanfair

ellonellanfair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

The only benefit I could think of for Chasing is if Crane will splash it with Cautious scout, allowing you to discover and neutralize provinces along the way. Still it's meh.

• sparrowhawk likes this

eigensheep

eigensheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

The only benefit I could think of for Chasing is if Crane will splash it with Cautious scout, allowing you to discover and neutralize provinces along the way. Still it's meh.

Cautious Scout is a Dynasty character, so that's a no go anyway.

MadMagician

MadMagician

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Experiencing a fair amount of success with the following build. 

http://www.cardgamed...corn-blitz-r116

GasPoweredStick

GasPoweredStick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Do you really need the imperial one drops? I feel like cutting them would improve the consistency of hitting Cavalry units and stronger one drops. ALso with the amount of attatchments you're running, no giver of gifts? Tatooed Wanderer really likes her, 2 covert attacks per turn in gnarly biz.

• MadMagician likes this

GKZhukov

GKZhukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
What do you guys cut from your conflict decks? I think there are 39 fantastic cards (including the usual 18 neutrals) *before* using influence. Those who answer "Way of the Unicorn" can go home :P
  • sparrowhawk, Atrus and GasPoweredStick like this

sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
cut is easier than include
usual 18 neutrals so true outside lion honour build
I cannot like this post enough

Unicorn has only 4 playable conflict cards currently

Captured Audience - every Unicorn or splash deck
Spyglass - I believe overrated outside Unicorn decks
Favoured Mount - the anti-Rout/Outwit expel card
Iuchi Wayfarer - his trigger sometimes helps if you are stupid but a 1/1/0 for 1 ambush is the real value

In short, I challenge everyone who thinks Unicorn is this clever choice. It's a zero sum game. Unicorn does not break that paradigm. If Unicorn can trick me into losing a province without them also losing a province, it's because I am a bad player.

Unicorn only punishes bad players.

Discuss. :)

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

I'm currently 5-0 with unicorn not big sample size but still loving unicorn, i'd post my list but most likely playing Unicorn at worlds I want to represent the "weakest" clan. 

• sparrowhawk likes this

MadMagician

MadMagician

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Do you really need the imperial one drops? I feel like cutting them would improve the consistency of hitting Cavalry units and stronger one drops. ALso with the amount of attatchments you're running, no giver of gifts? Tatooed Wanderer really likes her, 2 covert attacks per turn in gnarly biz.

Thanks for the tips. I agree the imperial are the weakest in the Dynasty. I'll give Giver a shot in their place. 

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

I will give one advice, if you have ANY holdings in your deck you are doing it wrong. 

• dnapolitano likes this

sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

I will give one advice, if you have ANY holdings in your deck you are doing it wrong.

So wrong, Brandon.
So very wrong.

GKZhukov

GKZhukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1055 posts

Unicorn only punishes bad players.

There are only bad players.

I'm currently 5-0 with unicorn not big sample size but still loving unicorn, i'd post my list but most likely playing Unicorn at worlds I want to represent the "weakest" clan. 

Pony power!

I will give one advice, if you have ANY holdings in your deck you are doing it wrong differently.

Corrected it for you ;)

sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

So wrong, Brandon.
So very wrong.

In case that came out blunt and negative, I want to add that I know where mBroncos is going here.

The benefits of holdings is often not worth the benefit of having an alternative choice there.

However, I took issue because it does not take into account the need for holdings (Crab) or lack of (a Clan with many uniques like Crane or Scorpion) who make such a fiat announcement silly.

He has a point that no amount of card draws trump having exactly the right Dynasty cards to counter yours. And luck is maximised by having less draw forced by game mechanics.

Life is very unfair. This model may be broken. It's all subjective (and the rest of the world would be more happy to follow US philosophy if you were led by someone we respected). This is all going to be redacted by the over-eager moderators so who cares?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Unicorn, Deck, discussion, friendship