Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Post-Apocalyptic Thread: We will rebuild

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts

Can anyone help me connect usernames to people?  Specifically, who all is not from North America?  I know Andy (fullyops), but I feel like my list should have more than 1 person from across the pond.

• Rio, yodaman and Jarratt like this

sdrewthomson

sdrewthomson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

I could be wrong, but I think:

Boreas - Poland

Medfreeman - France

Majestaat - Chile

AegonTargaryen - Germany

Jarratt - New Zealand

DarthBS - UK

FullyOps - UK

Probably missing quite a few others, but this is what I got for now.

• dbmeboy and Jarratt like this

Thaliak

Thaliak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Tarjan is from France, Kryptolis is from Poland, and Kylar is from Spain.

• dbmeboy, Jarratt and sdrewthomson like this

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

I nominate Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, and Dylan.  and then fill out the list with as many yankeefan alt accounts as necessary.  and then put tierdahl in charge

also, if elected I will serve.  I think some forgot about that, so we probably should give ppl a chance to adjust their nomination lists accordingly before getting too far ahead of ourselves

• TheEmpireBringsSexyBack and kiramode like this

mindlessphilosopher

mindlessphilosopher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

May I please revise my slate?  People have made very good cases for broader geographic scope that I didn't consider at first.  If it's too late, I understand, but I really would appreciate it.

• IAmBatman likes this

GreedoShotFirst

GreedoShotFirst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

May I please revise my slate?  People have made very good cases for broader geographic scope that I didn't consider at first.  If it's too late, I understand, but I really would appreciate it.

Of course. I'm not counting nominations until Feb
  • punkeedo likes this

metlfan

metlfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

These seem like the favourites...

Kiramode

Greedoshotfirst

Dbmeboy

Letux

FullyOps

Yodaman

Macrauri

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts

I also don't feel right voting for myself, but if elected I would be more than happy to serve.  For those considering regional factors, I am currently in Toledo, OH but will be moving to St Louis in June.

My votes:

FullyOps

Jarratt

Macrauri

GreedoShotFirst

MasterJediAdam

Kiramode

Yodaman

Jackofhearts

Medfreeman

Edit: updated for 9 spots

• mindlessphilosopher likes this

DarthCusm

DarthCusm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Are the people responsible for the beautiful alt art cards, IIRC from the NY/NJ area, still around? It would be great to see some alt arts that could be created and obtained for new tournaments. I have had acrylic tokens made via etsy and that could be another option for future prize support. 

Would it be possible to run tournaments at future events like Gencon etc? Or would ASSmodee throw a fit over their abandon product being supported unofficially?

• yodaman likes this

GreedoShotFirst

GreedoShotFirst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Are the people responsible for the beautiful alt art cards, IIRC from the NY/NJ area, still around? It would be great to see some alt arts that could be created and obtained for new tournaments. I have had acrylic tokens made via etsy and that could be another option for future prize support.

Would it be possible to run tournaments at future events like Gencon etc? Or would ASSmodee throw a fit over their abandon product being supported unofficially?

These are very good questions and highlight the need for a committee to organize and seek out answers to them.

The NY guys are still around and knowing them, I'm sure they would welcome any opportunity to help keep the game strong.
  • yodaman and DarthCusm like this

Froh

Froh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi there, I'm currently collecting the game as a new player (yeah I'm getting LCG, even finished for personnal research, and enjoyment).

I can provide support on OCTGN to include the future designed sets if needed. (I'm already doing this for W40: Conquest, so you can pm me if needed).

Mostly cards for now, don't introduce too much new mechanics since I won't have time to cover both games that deep. (later, when I'm used to it, I could improve my speed). Of course, the current maintainer will need to be contacted as well. If he can do it alone, and don't need any help, feel free to ignore me :P

• Thaliak, GreedoShotFirst and metlfan like this

R2Deakin

R2Deakin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
I’ll throw mine out there I may come back and edit if it’s necessary but I think Tom would be a good choice if he is interested.

Greedoshotfirst
Fullyops
Dbmeboy
Ozrix
Letux
MacRauri
Jarratt
Kiramode
Medfreeman

Edit: Updated to 9 names.
  • yodaman likes this

CoDameron

CoDameron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Yes! we are absolutely still around! We recently made an alt-art for our big northeast tournament. We did a lure of the dark side with Palpatine corrupting Luke (See pic). As for our next big thing, we want to host another tournament in the northeast with custom cards. I am nearly finished developing my legends of the force cycle (which had Tyler as an early idea-man before I took over the project completely). I want to get these printed legitimately and have them available soon, possibly around worlds. 

As for this council, I know any of the people nominated here would do the game well. I do want an NYC representative on the list though, so I'll nominate John (JackofHearts), but really, we are all so tight-knit that he would speak for us all

JackOfHearts

Kiramode

Jarratt

Letux

Fullyops

Yodaman

Dbmeboy

Lots of good names to choose from. This game is still wonderful. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Lure Alt Art.jpg

• yodaman, kiramode, GreedoShotFirst and 1 other like this

Kryptofis

Kryptofis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

I am quite new to this game, but I have been involved in SWCCG for 10 years now.

Whoever wounds up in the designated group, I'd advise the following:

1. Contact someone from PC (SWCCG) and CC (Star Trek) - they have been through this, they have experience and can help avoid a lot of pitfalls

2. Make sure you have some kind of a hand shake with FFG - that they know something like this is happening, they this is non-profit. It might go under the radar, but if it doesn't, there better be something of a sign off from the company who owns the rights, otherwise it can get messy (unlikely, yet possible).

3. There's gotta be one place (forums/site) that ppl can go to and read "official" stuff from. Otherwise even if you have just 2-3 rouge groups (and you will get ppl creating their own content), things will get lost and confusing.

4. Prepare well and don't forget marketing, organized play, balance issues, and most of all - don't let anyone out of this.

I really hope this works, the game is amazing!

• dbmeboy, Gamer257, yodaman and 5 others like this

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts

Topics to be addressed initially include:

Selection of a Chairman

MTFBWY

Tarkin ruling

Damage dealt v. Damage assigned

Spark

new website w deckbuilder for "approved" cards

Former Champions getting their card designed

legality of making new cards, website, continuing the game* (What can we do without retaliation from The Mouse)

Rotation schedule

New Core?

Assigning a delegate in each geographic location to coordinate and promote events/tournament

I'd argue that the things I underlined there are actually things that are all in step 2 to consider.  Job 1 should be to establish an "official" website and the general outreach required to make sure we have a group broadly accepted by the community.  Especially since we'll still have FFG cards and (probably) an FAQ coming.

Edit: basically, organizational and outreach things can be done now... making anything new or changing anything doesn't happen until May, at earliest.

• yodaman likes this

katurian

katurian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

May I make a humble suggestion?

I love this game and everyone I play it with and want to keep playing it as long as possible but I do see a challenge in bringing in new people. Specifically, FFG won't be reprinting their own cards going forward. Obviously there's no shortage of secondary market cards available and conquest has carried on into several entire fan made cycles and deluxe (see Apoka's website) successfully without rebooting but...well what about a reboot. 

In this way, we have Star Wars LCG 2.0, the thing that we all make together and that is accessible to new people and old people alike. Then we still have the complete legacy game as it ended for whenever you want to dig that out. I think a reboot allows us to draw a line that is important especially with new players than having to say well I'm playing with the new FAQ and they say oh well I'm playing with the FFG rules I read online and now I'm confused or worse doing that without saying it which can lead to major NPE. 

Lastly I would like to humbly put the names of my New York comrades into the hat: Donavan, John Heath-Clarke, Xavier, and Colby have all been working tirelessly on new sets and have run several major successful events. 

So, what I suggest we at least debate is we allow the game to finish as it is and offer a fan made reboot 2.0. With regards to legal issues, I don't think it's kosher to sell cards even at cost but likewise FFG nor Disney should take an interest in squashing something they're not selling anyway. In the worst case, someone gets a cease and desist letter and we go from there. But until some lawyer says stop, I think it's best to assume nobody will care if we make cards for fun after all as I said Conquest has been doing this for years since the game ended without issue. 

Lastly, I'd like to just put out there I'm wondering what the status of the OCTGN community will be either going forward with expanding on the current game or a reboot. I'm very grateful Bolivar has kept all the sets up but I don't expect he will continue to do so if we reboot the game or add on to it. Since it makes a low barrier for entry, OCTGN can make a great way to re-surge interest in the game if we have more players actively online (I say perhaps not entirely unselfishly as it would obviously give me more people to play with :D) which makes a positive feedback loop of it being easier to get a game and so more people get online and use it. Alternatively, if people just HATE octgn which I can understand (I've grown to love its quarks but thats just me) might we consider a kind of Jenteki.net or ironthrone for our new game? I sincerely doubt we would run into any legal issues if the L5R Netrunner and Thrones sites have not and I think making the game easy to play and find people to play with at home will only aid in a resurgence and the best time to get people's attention is with the announcements of how the game will be handled by us going forward. 

Just my thoughts, I'm just happy to be along for the ride and I hope to edge with you all for years to come.

• yodaman likes this

katurian

katurian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

just to clarify: with a 2.0 just as with Thrones 2.0 there's nothing to say we can't re-release certain cards or pods from 1.0 exactly as written or modified however best suits. I just feel starting completely over with a redone (and actually playable) core will be key to getting new players which in turn is key to keeping the game alive beyond just our community. 

GreedoShotFirst

GreedoShotFirst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

I'd argue that the things I underlined there are actually things that are all in step 2 to consider.  Job 1 should be to establish an "official" website and the general outreach required to make sure we have a group broadly accepted by the community.  Especially since we'll still have FFG cards and (probably) an FAQ coming.

Edit: basically, organizational and outreach things can be done now... making anything new or changing anything doesn't happen until May, at earliest.

I'm just trying to put all the suggestions in one area. By no means am I trying to establish am order. FWIW, I completely agree.

May I make a humble suggestion?

I love this game and everyone I play it with and want to keep playing it as long as possible but I do see a challenge in bringing in new people. Specifically, FFG won't be reprinting their own cards going forward. Obviously there's no shortage of secondary market cards available and conquest has carried on into several entire fan made cycles and deluxe (see Apoka's website) successfully without rebooting but...well what about a reboot. 

In this way, we have Star Wars LCG 2.0, the thing that we all make together and that is accessible to new people and old people alike. Then we still have the complete legacy game as it ended for whenever you want to dig that out. I think a reboot allows us to draw a line that is important especially with new players than having to say well I'm playing with the new FAQ and they say oh well I'm playing with the FFG rules I read online and now I'm confused or worse doing that without saying it which can lead to major NPE. 

Lastly I would like to humbly put the names of my New York comrades into the hat: Donavan, John Heath-Clarke, Xavier, and Colby have all been working tirelessly on new sets and have run several major successful events. 

So, what I suggest we at least debate is we allow the game to finish as it is and offer a fan made reboot 2.0. With regards to legal issues, I don't think it's kosher to sell cards even at cost but likewise FFG nor Disney should take an interest in squashing something they're not selling anyway. In the worst case, someone gets a cease and desist letter and we go from there. But until some lawyer says stop, I think it's best to assume nobody will care if we make cards for fun after all as I said Conquest has been doing this for years since the game ended without issue. 

Lastly, I'd like to just put out there I'm wondering what the status of the OCTGN community will be either going forward with expanding on the current game or a reboot. I'm very grateful Bolivar has kept all the sets up but I don't expect he will continue to do so if we reboot the game or add on to it. Since it makes a low barrier for entry, OCTGN can make a great way to re-surge interest in the game if we have more players actively online (I say perhaps not entirely unselfishly as it would obviously give me more people to play with :D) which makes a positive feedback loop of it being easier to get a game and so more people get online and use it. Alternatively, if people just HATE octgn which I can understand (I've grown to love its quarks but thats just me) might we consider a kind of Jenteki.net or ironthrone for our new game? I sincerely doubt we would run into any legal issues if the L5R Netrunner and Thrones sites have not and I think making the game easy to play and find people to play with at home will only aid in a resurgence and the best time to get people's attention is with the announcements of how the game will be handled by us going forward. 

Just my thoughts, I'm just happy to be along for the ride and I hope to edge with you all for years to come.

I agree. That's why 'new core ' is on my list of topics to discuss. We get into trouble selling cards, imo. We may need to hire an artist then provide this new release as down loadable content. This can be determined once we habe am elected council up and running.

Nuhring

Nuhring

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I'll start off by saying that this community is great. (TBH I came to fully understand this fact after Worlds 2016). This 'core' community will continue to drive this game as long as we stay interested and active. These are my thoughts moving forward:

1.) I have seen many names, some more common than others, been recognized as pillars or those entrusted with progressing this game forward. I believe many of these lists to be solid. My only hope is that those eventually selected are willing to dedicate or commit to the responsibility bestowed upon them. As people have been nominated/suggested (... and eventually selected), I believe they will continue to communicate to and be influenced by the community at large, thus also representing the community.
A.) To OP: As I strongly believe the best way for this community to continue forward, and what has been evidenced by communities that are inclusive; I suggest that we change the 'council' to 6 or 8 members. In the event of a split vote, we would agree that a 7th/9th spot be left to community vote.

2.) I have limited experience with SWCCG as of post production, but I am very impressed that the Player Committee has been able to support and progress the game forward. I believe we have lots to learn without reinventing the wheel from this committee. I would expect that our 'council' consult with the SWCCG (and similar discontinued community supported games).

Ultimately, I hope as a community we continue to develop this incredible game for years to come.

As for my list of 7... I will agree with OP. My hope is that those mentioned are also interested in that endeavor.

I will offer my support to those selected, if ever asked would be enamored to join.

@FullyOps looking forward to your side event at worlds!!!
  • dbmeboy, yodaman, Jarratt and 1 other like this

normanh

normanh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
All sounds good to me!