Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Post-Apocalyptic Thread: We will rebuild

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

tsgstarwars

tsgstarwars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

I'm definitely no-where near notable enough to be on the player's committee, but I'm more than happy to help with ideas/suggestions for some of the new cards (or if some of my ideas are used, that's also totally cool). There's also my SWTOR cycle, which I'm sure won't be used in an official/unofficial manner, but hopefully will inspire some of the new stuff that gets created.

(Those who know me from the EU/Canon debate will also know I'll be pushing for Legends representation in the new stuff  :) )

I'll still be designing away at SWTOR-era stuff, doing the same thing I've always been doing  :)

Eggzavier

Eggzavier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

While my knowledge of the game is fundamental at best, I am an intellectual property attorney based in Chicago for my day job.

Would be happy to provide some light legal consulting (not legal advice, mind you) on questions should anyone require it.

• dbmeboy, MasterJediAdam, yodaman and 2 others like this

tsgstarwars

tsgstarwars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

While my knowledge of the game is fundamental at best, I am an intellectual property attorney based in Chicago for my day job.

Would be happy to provide some light legal consulting (not legal advice, mind you) on questions should anyone require it.

Of course the person who's studied law is going to remember/put in the disclaimer  :)

• yodaman and Eggzavier like this

Eggzavier

Eggzavier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Of course the person who's studied law is going to remember/put in the disclaimer  :)

Honestly after reading the horror stories its like second nature to me now haha

• tsgstarwars likes this

bbrodsky50

bbrodsky50

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Again, someone so small in this large large pond...but I will vote for "advocates".

Letux

Kiramode

DBmeboy

Yodaman

ColDameron

JackofHearts

Rio

RoyalAgeis

Jarratt

Also, I am working to "band together" our small bunch in southern NJ and southeastern PA. We already have events scheduled for February and March. I will work to get things posted on the forums.

Keep hope alive! Keep the game alive!

• yodaman and CoDameron like this

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3892 posts

Also, I am working to "band together" our small bunch in southern NJ and southeastern PA. We already have events scheduled for February and March. I will work to get things posted on the forums.

We'll need lots of people like you willing to run events on a local level!  One thing we'll definitely lose is the ability to sell tournament kits directly to stores.  We'll rely on players at the local level being willing to work with their local stores to keep events being run.

• bbrodsky50 and DarthCusm like this

bbrodsky50

bbrodsky50

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Thanks dbmeboy! We even set up a discord channel and have a name for ourselves - "Coruscant Strike Force". I already bought one kit myself because the guys are newer players so there will a Mara mat up for grabs. i am also hoping jackofhearts and the NYC guys have some extra alt-arts to spare. My LGS owner also has some kits "hidden away" he said so, I am hopeful that we can get some players.

If anyone in a different region has some extra alt-arts they could spare for our southern NJ/PA group, we would really love it!

Thanks!

• CoDameron likes this

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2208 posts

We'll need lots of people like you willing to run events on a local level!  One thing we'll definitely lose is the ability to sell tournament kits directly to stores.  We'll rely on players at the local level being willing to work with their local stores to keep events being run.

I'll run events in my area if we get stuff set up.
  • dbmeboy likes this

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3892 posts

I'll run events in my area if we get stuff set up.

Not "if," when.  I can't speak for anyone else, but keeping some form of organized play going is a top priority for me.

• Rio, TheNameWasTaken, Eggzavier and 1 other like this

DarthCusm

DarthCusm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
I was one of two people to reboot our local community. I have bought and gathered promo kits from eBay and our FLGS has been great at ordering the kits for us and he just has me run the tournaments. I will continue to help our community.

I also would love to get a shot at any extra alt art the community has made and I would order/pay for new sets for the community.
  • Rio and yodaman like this

scwont

scwont

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

It's really hard to pick from all the people who continue to contribute so much to this community, and have a lot of passion for it.

I also think it's easy on this forum to overlook groups from non-English speaking countries. There are clearly strong and relatively large metas in France, Spain and Poland, for example, that ought to be represented even though they may not have as large a presence on this site. I know there are people from those places on this forum, and they will have a better idea than I do who specifically would be best suited for this.

Apart from that, I can't find anything to disagree with in the original list that Greedoshotfirst came up with. Any or all of them would be more than worthy custodians for this game going forward.

mindlessphilosopher

mindlessphilosopher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

After a lot of thought, I'd like to modify my original list:

Jarratt

Kiramode

dbmeboy

Yodaman

Jackofhearts

medfreeman

Fullyops

MasterJediAdam

Majestaat

This was very difficult to do, and I know that 'it's nothing personal' is in fact one of the cruelest cliches out there, but I really respect all of the candidates from among whom I am struggling to decide, and I wish everyone the best of luck.

DonovanM

DonovanM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
Before casting a vote, I'd like to suggest increasing the number of members to 13 with a dedicated spot for each country with a large enough playgroup to host a national tournament (official or unofficial). I think that includes Austrailia/NZ, Canada, France, Germany, Poland, Spain, USA, and the UK.

I also think the process would go smoother, if it went as follows: nominate someone, have the nomination seconded, have the person accept the nomination, create a poll with all accepted nominations to let forum/FB members select their top X candidates.
  • Rio and GreedoShotFirst like this

GreedoShotFirst

GreedoShotFirst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

I am OK with expansion if the rest of the community would like it. I just picked 7 to be large enough with a tie breaker. The other option is to put in order who you would like on the committee. That way once we decide the number of members, the leading vote getters would be in.

I was just planning on tallying the votes then speaking to the members individually to see if they accepted the commission. If not, it would drop to the next person on the list.

In regards to regional leaders, I think it is important for organization and tournament play, but these can likely just be appointed. I think it may work against the game to have too many members inserting too many opinions and not actually progressing the game any further.

• DonovanM and DarthCusm like this

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3892 posts
Regardless of the size of the council/committee/whatever the name ends up being, we'll definitely need more people involved. For example, someone on the council may be head of organized play, but they'll need a team to help them including representatives from all regions. Design similarly. There may be a council member or 2 heading it up, but they won't be the entire team presumably. We're not looking for a group to do everything, but a group to direct so the community can remain unified.

I'm not disagreeing that we should try to include diverse representation. But I do think the group should remain somewhat small. Too many people makes it much harder to find a unified vision.
  • GreedoShotFirst, Eggzavier and DarthCusm like this

MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1623 posts

Before casting a vote, I'd like to suggest increasing the number of members to 13 with a dedicated spot for each country with a large enough playgroup to host a national tournament (official or unofficial). I think that includes Austrailia/NZ, Canada, France, Germany, Poland, Spain, USA, and the UK.

I also think the process would go smoother, if it went as follows: nominate someone, have the nomination seconded, have the person accept the nomination, create a poll with all accepted nominations to let forum/FB members select their top X candidates.

I believe the intent is to identify leads for various "lanes of effort" who would be responsible to the community to focus the efforts of the volunteers in that lane. This means that the overall number of volunteers that are contributing to keeping the community alive will need to be much larger - including participants in events and feedback on how the community is managing/developing the game.

• GreedoShotFirst likes this

DarthCusm

DarthCusm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

I completely agree. I may have a great idea, or think I do and I could send it to a regional Viceroy, for me in OK perhaps GSF is a our point of contact and he can enlighten me to the fallacy of my idea or recommend it in to the board. One thing I have found in gaming community is that we all think we are Gygax; when in reality we are more like Joey /Chandler with "Fireball", and most of our ideas need to be tweaked, tested and in most cases chunked away. I would think it would be a good idea to list these publicly, just so we are not regurgitating the same idea over and over and to show any faults in the idea and so people can see that their idea is not just being blindly shot down.

• GreedoShotFirst likes this

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3892 posts
If and how new card designs are developed is a discussion that will definitely happen. But more important is establishing a central source for op and new content. That's how you avoid fracturing the player base and that, I think, is the main goal of this thread. If the council members know what they're doing, they will solicit and listen to ideas from multiple sources. But either way, it's good for the health of the game to have unity instead of a bunch of local metas all doing their own thing and ignoring everyone else.
  • mindlessphilosopher and DarthCusm like this

MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1623 posts

I was one of two people to reboot our local community. I have bought and gathered promo kits from eBay and our FLGS has been great at ordering the kits for us and he just has me run the tournaments. I will continue to help our community.

I also would love to get a shot at any extra alt art the community has made and I would order/pay for new sets for the community.

I would also like to point out that the opinions and experiences of those like you who have developed a play community are invaluable to our community, both now and in the future. I am certain that any future community led play-base will welcome your ideas.

• mindlessphilosopher likes this

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2208 posts
I know using new cards in the future could be seen as "player content" but what happens if a new pod includes "Twist if Fate" or any other FFG created card. Could that be an issue going forward in creating new content?