Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fan Expansion Preview

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Ha, Steve taking a turn as visiting lecturer for the university is long overdue.

Speaking of long overdue. :)

19-Ithaqua.png

Sorry, segue way was too good to pass up.

Old school Ithaqua was a bit too busted for the lcg imo, but think a lot of the original ideas are captured here.  

• asmZERO likes this

asmZERO

asmZERO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

As for things people can do. The biggest thing is making blank templates that I can use to build cards. They're not finished by any means (even the ones I have finished need some tweaking for in the Copyright department). I've been using/learning the software called GIMP to create the templates since its free. Once the templates are finished making new cards is a snap.

The template on this one took me forever. Turns out there isn't really a good shub card to use a base. Never could really get that watermark icon behind the text to behave. So this is the best I can do at my current skill level. 

I start looking at this.  I'm fairly confident that between me and a few of my friends we could get you a layered template file that you can use to assemble cards.  Examples of cards with the least amount of text/icons would be helpful for this.  I'll start sifting through the card database.

---

Steve Clarney is a great card.  I like (and hate) the exile mechanic in magic.  I think there is a place for something similar in Call of Cthulhu.

• MagnusArcanis likes this

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

I start looking at this.  I'm fairly confident that between me and a few of my friends we could get you a layered template file that you can use to assemble cards.  Examples of cards with the least amount of text/icons would be helpful for this.  I'll start sifting through the card database.

---

Steve Clarney is a great card.  I like (and hate) the exile mechanic in magic.  I think there is a place for something similar in Call of Cthulhu.

If you need a place to start. The ST support and ST event are the last two I need to make to finish the expansion. 

Thanks in advance for the effort. :)

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts
More very cool cards. The MU character is fantastic and will definitely see play in my deck. I like the design of the Shub card but my deck is already tight on space. Considering one of the guys I play against always uses MU, it will perhaps see play. Ithaqua is awesome. I'm very excited to test him out.

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Hope this card prints ok. And for the record.... conspiracy templates suck to make. Still though. If there is a way to make ST empty hand viable. I imagine it would need such a card. haha.

28-Working-From-the-Shadows.png

asmZERO

asmZERO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Hey, I'm going to look at the templates on the weekend.  Hopefully I can have something for you by the end of the weekend.  I'll be working in Photoshop and I know GIMP can open PSD files but apparently it has trouble with certain layers. We'll see how it goes.

asmZERO

asmZERO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

The guy answering template creation questions for me wanted to know if anyone had reached out to Fantasy Flight to see if they'd be willing to provide card creation templates.  I told him I doubted they would be willing to release their IP out into the world like that but that I would ask.  Any idea?

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

I asked a long time ago. Answer then was a no. 

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Happy Birthday to me!

22-Fate-Intervenes.png

Fate cards are some of the strongest cards in the game. While they have a built in answer, sometimes you can't afford to wait that long.

Seems there is plenty of room for some flavor text on this card eh? I'm open to suggestions. :)

• asmZERO likes this

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts
Happy Birthday dude!
  • MagnusArcanis and asmZERO like this

asmZERO

asmZERO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Not a lot of progress on this over the weekend.  Went out and got a new printer/scanner.  Fighting with it to get nice scans that aren't cropped strangely.  Very irritating.  I'll keep working at it.

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Not a lot of progress on this over the weekend.  Went out and got a new printer/scanner.  Fighting with it to get nice scans that aren't cropped strangely.  Very irritating.  I'll keep working at it.

Uhhh. Now I feel bad. Turns out a lot of this work has already been done. 

The files Tragic made for putting the game online are pretty perfect for what we need. 

https://github.com/T...z/lackey-CoCLCG

Then in the cards folder you can find images for every card. (or so I assume).

They are what I've been using to create the cards you see here. 

Not sure how far you plan on going, but if you want it, the Times CoC font... https://boardgamegee...s-coc-font-file

Which has 7 out of the 8 factions in an otherwise Times New Roman font. Though does take some tweaking to get it to the right size and spacing. Which, honestly, you're just better off using GIMP and files I've already been using if you want to build out the entire template.  

Though, as far as I'm concerned, a clean card is all I really need. And don't worry about the ST cards. I've got them covered. Unless you can think you can make a better clean card. Then by all means... go for it. I'll swamp em out. 

asmZERO

asmZERO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Hey, No worries. You won't be able to send these to a printer to get physical cards though.  My intention was to work towards a printer file that could be submitted to somewhere like printerstudio.com to get a pack of cards to add to my collection.

Did you intend to only use these digitally?

Uhhh. Now I feel bad. Turns out a lot of this work has already been done. 

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Hey, No worries. You won't be able to send these to a printer to get physical cards though.  My intention was to work towards a printer file that could be submitted to somewhere like printerstudio.com to get a pack of cards to add to my collection.

Did you intend to only use these digitally?

why wouldn't I be able to use those to make physical cards? 

asmZERO

asmZERO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

You can but it'll very likely be pixilated or blurry.  Ideally you want an image around 300dpi for print.  These are all 430x600.

It's possible that they'd look good enough.

why wouldn't I be able to use those to make physical cards? 

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Ok, we're a little behind schedule but things are pretty close!

I've uploaded the "finished files" to the project folder https://drive.google...Z7y-yyY9tkEd1UQ

I say finished cause they were good enough. People are making improvements still and plan to make updates as they do.  

Also, I have a test print set up with Artscow.com. Which, with the holidays... I suspect I'll see that early next year. If they turn out well. I'll share the design so people can purchase their own. Otherwise, I'll have to tweak it until its at least good enough. If anyone is more of an expert at getting such things printed... feel free to jump in. Flying kind of blind here. Seems the toughest part is getting the white border. Every site I go to has the preview image on a white background so it's really hard to tell if I did right and all of the image droppers crop the white border i have on the cards naturally.... so... bleh

In any case. I wanted to post more previews, but at least there are a few surprises left I guess. 

To see everything and download the files yourself, you can visit the project folder

https://drive.google...Z7y-yyY9tkEd1UQ

And inside the Cthulhu LCG Fan Pack Volume 1 folder you can find images for the xcf (GIMP file type) and png files that anyone can view. 

Enjoy!

• blinovitch and Farquhar like this

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Apologies for delay all. Ran into some major roadblocks with the white border. 

Then other things got in the way. Current solution i'm trying to use is to use a colored or textured border. Spent some time this weekend re-formatting cards. Hope to get another test set in before the end of the month. 

• Tude likes this