Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sell my core set or buy some deluxe expansions?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

dfuse

dfuse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi people,

after years of not playing any boar/cardgames anymore I was looking through my collection and found I have the core set of the Call of Cthulhu LCG and two small card expansions. If I want to play this game casually from time to time with a friend, what deluxe expansions would you recommend? Or is the core set enough? (I have only played it once when I bought it). I always get anxiety when looking at the FFG website as lots of expansions seem sold out and I get fear of missing out.
I like having a bit more then just the core game around, so I can still play it more then once the next 15 years or so when my kids grow up.

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2089 posts
To be honest, it depends entirely on you. You do have a play experience in just the core set alone but it might feel a bit limited. More cards adds more options. If you like the game and how it plays, take any opportunity to get any cheap cards that you are able.

The only issue you might have is that if you are able to get deluxe expansions for certain factions, you will skew the game highly in their favour. Still, I would recommend buying any cheap cards you can find.

Brooklynmike

Brooklynmike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I was in exactly the same position as you ... I played a lot years ago and had a collection of CCG cards. I dragged them out and thought it would be fun to play again. 

Rather than try to get all the various pack (so many!) I just got one of each of the Deluxe Expansions. Why? Each expansion builds out a faction (and introduces a new faction, Silver Twilight Lodge), so each faction has plenty of cool, fun, pretty, and interesting cards. 

I also put out a call for CoC cards from anyone who wanted to get rid of theirs ... our game club Metropolitan Wargamers of NYC ( www.nycwargames.com) has a bunch of players no longer interested and willing to part with cards.

So now I have an interesting and diverse set of cards that support casual but engaging play.