Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Ruling] marshal as if they were in your hand

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Movac

Movac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

If I use Dothraki Handmaiden to attach an attachment card facedown as an attachment on it, does it count as a triggering condition for an attachment having entered play? Ex: Valyrian Steel If I then marshal the facedown attachment as if it were in my hand, from a framework standpoint does it count as a different attachment card having entered play from my hand and thus count as another triggering condition for Valyrian Steel?

• Tyralw and WalterF like this

Movac

Movac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Hello,

If you use Dothraki Handmaiden’s Marshaling Action to attach an attachment from your hand to her facedown, it does count as an attachment entering play. You will be able to trigger Valyrian Steel’s reaction after using this ability.

If you use Dothraki Handmaiden’s constant ability to marshal a facedown card on her as if it were in your hand, it does not count as an attachment entering play. The attachment was already in play; while marshaling the card turns it faceup, it does not cause it to move from an out of play area into a play area, and so does not satisfy the condition of “entering play.” Therefore you will not be able to trigger Valyrian Steel’s reaction in this situation.

Thanks!

Danny Schaefer
Card Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

dschaefer@fantasyflightgames.com

Movac

Movac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Hi Danny,

Thank you so much for your answer. I hope you don't mind me asking more questions as an extension of the original question that you've just answered.

I assume then that since a facedown card that gets marshaled does not count as entering play, I can then assume that if the card itself has an enter play reaction, it will not have the opportunity to trigger it's reactions? Example if I were able to marshal a Venomous Blade that was attached facedown on a handmaiden, it would not be able to trigger it's enter play reaction. By extension, would it also be true that cards that were facedown and the face up card has the bestow keyword, the player would not be able to bestow gold onto the card when it gets marshaled from facedown to faceup?

In the dothraki handmaiden example, both the facedown and faceup cards are all of the attachment card type. Does all the same rules apply to Valyrian's Crew where the card could change from attachment to character card type? If a player has a character attached facedown on Valyrian's Crew, it will not count as a character entering play? Will it have all the same answers regarding whether or not it can trigger reactions to being marshalled/entering play? (Ex: Marshaling a facedown Aegon Targaryen or Begging Brother)

Thank You,
Hope to hear from you soon

Movac

Movac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Hi Michael,

Yeah, there are some strange interactions with these 2 cards. Both of them allow you to “marshal” a card that is already in play, which means you may trigger reactions to marshaling, but cannot trigger reactions to it entering play. So Venomous Blade’s reaction would not work, nor would bestow.

The same rules apply to Valryian’s Crew. You would not be able to trigger the reaction to Aegon Targaryen entering play, nor place gold on Begging Brother using bestow.

cleardot.gif

Thanks!

Danny Schaefer
Card Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

Movac

Movac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

If I control Tarle the Thrice-Drowned and Great Wyk and then marshal a drowned god character out of the dead pile as if they were in my hand. From a framework standpoint, did the character enter play from my hand or the dead pile?

Movac

Movac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Hello,

When you marshal a character from your dead pile using Tarle the Thrice-Drowned, that character is considered to have enter play from your dead pile (not from your hand). You will be able to trigger Old Wyk’s ability.

Thanks!

Danny Schaefer
Card Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

Movac

Movac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Can cards under your agenda while Archmaester Marwyn is in play be marshaled into shadows as if they were in your hand? Prior examples of cards that allowed you to marshal cards as if they were in your hand such as King's Landing or Tarle the Thrice Drowned did not allow cards to be marshaled into shadows from the dead/discard pile as if they were in your hand. However, that it was because marshaling a card into shadows did not meet the requirement that they be locations or drowned god characters, but Marwyn has no such characteristics requirements.

Movac

Movac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Hello,

Yes, Archmaester Marywn will allow you to marshal facedown cards under your agenda into shadows as if they were in your hand.

Thanks!

Danny Schaefer
Card Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games