I have a hale Urien Rakarth, who reads in part "The cost for you to play each non-Torture event is increased by 1." I want to play Raid, which is a non-Torture event that has printed cost 0 and reads "Limited. (Limit one Limited card per round.) Action: Take 1[RESOURCE] from your opponent if he has more resources than you." I have 4 resources and my opponent has 4 resources. If I were to actually play Raid, I would pay 1 resource, then my opponent would have more resources than me, and I would take 1 resource from my opponent. However, the RRG says:
"When a player wishes to deploy or play a card, or initiate a triggered ability, he first declares his intent. The following steps are then observed, in order:
1. Check play restrictions: can the card be deployed or played, or the ability initiated, at this time?
2. Determine the cost (or costs, if multiple costs are required) to deploy/play the card or initiate the ability.
3. Apply any modifiers to the cost(s).
4. Pay the cost(s).
5. Choose target(s), if applicable.
6. The card is deployed/played, or the ability resolves."
It looks like I must check whether it's legal to play the card before paying its cost. When I perform that check, do I imagine running the card while both players have 4 resources, in which case it would do nothing? Am I therefor unable to play Raid under these circumstances?