Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Winter 2021 Online Tournament Sign-Up

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

MacRauri

MacRauri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

It is time for the next one!

The Fall 2020 Online Tournament has come to a close crowning our first two-time seasonal limited cardpool champion CoDameron and he has a treat for us with the next cardpool! This set introduces some objective sets from the fan-made Legends and M-Cycle cards into the mix!  CoDameron has generously made a printable version of these pods, 1 per page so if players wish to use them just proxy what you need.  But from the looks of it there is some powerful stuff in the main cardpool so we’ll see how much play the fan sets get!

Rules questions regarding the fan-made cards can be directed to me, CoDameron or DavFlamerock.

Without further ado this is the Winter 2021 Cardpool:

(click to enlarge)

BcHyIRi.png

[LINK to Fan-made Cards]

Note: only Core Set affiliation cards are allowed for this tournament.

Tournament (new information in red)

Like the last Online Tournaments, this one will have a Group Round and then an Elimination Round.  Players within a Group are responsible for coordinating their match times, playing and reporting the games, before the end of the Group Round.

This Tournament will continue last season’s “Green Group”.  Green Group is a designated group during the Group Round that has preferential placement of players who are new to SWLCG online tournaments.  Remaining slots in Group Group will be filled by players with the least favorable standings after Ground Round in the previous tournament.  This should make games more fun for newer players and all groups more competitive.

Also, we are doing away with the timezone specific groups.  There will NO LONGER be designated EU and US groups.  This is to promote meeting more people and making more connections.  To accommodate for the difficulty in scheduling a transatlantic match the Group Round phase will be extended by 1 week.

Group Round will last 1 week per match-up players need, plus 2 for the transatlantic merger and holidays.

Decks can be changed during the Group Round.  (It’s a new world)

Scoring: Like last time we did an online tournament, there is a tie-breaker system players will need to report on.  A win is considered 12 points.  DS gets points based off the Death Star Dial when they lose.  Ex: losing with the dial at 10 results in 12 points for the LS player, 10 points fo the DS player.  LS tie breaking points are based off objective progress.  4 points for each objective in the LS victory pile + 1 point for every 2 points of objective damage on the board, rounded down, the a maximum of +3.  Ex 1: LS loses with 2 objectives destroyed and 3 damage on the board.  LS gets 9 points.  Ex2: LS loses with 1 objective destroyed and 2 objectives at 4 damage on the board and another at 3.  LS gets 7 points.  Yes, this does incentivize certain decks, we’ll just have to make our peace with that.

At the end of the Group Round the top players in each Group will advance to the Elimination Round.  If there is a tie game points will be examined.  The exact number of players advancing will be determined once sign-up is complete, but, like the World Cup, expect it to be roughly half of the group.  

Elimination Round

Entering the the Elimination Rounds qualifying players will need to lock in their deck lists!  Once all lists are provided they will be posted on Cardgamedb for all to see.  This will let players plan their strategy and also let the rest of us watching place our bets!

Elimination Round will be single elimination best of 5.

In the early round(s) the higher seeded player from their group will have the choice of what deck to play first.  In all later rounds it will be decided by coin flip.  Players will alternate playing LS/DS. If a 5th game is needed the player who has more game points accumulated during the first 4 games of that one-on-one match up may decide which deck to play in the 5th game.  So keep track of the dial and objective damage in these games too!

Hopefully we’ll continue to have really exciting games, and online streaming in the cut!

And the prize for all this: Community!  Fame -the fortune.  Fame minus the fortune… and a say in the next limited cardpool!

Next Steps

If you are interested please respond below by Saturday December 19

Also include what SWLCG card you would like to use as your avatar in the live drawing of groups.  For example, I will represented once again by the one and only "Kyle Katarn".  You know which one.  If you have questions please let me know!

If you would like to play, but cannot post here because a moderator hasn't approved posts yet, you can still PM me on cardgamedb here.  Or you can reach out to us on the FB group.

• yodaman, CoDameron, sdrewthomson and 5 others like this

CoDameron

CoDameron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Sign me up! And make me Delta 1 again - Maarek's pod had never been so beautiful. 

Alright! Who’s ready for another new cardpool? This one has gone through extensive revisions and even some playtesting (thank you Mick, Donovan, and everyone else I've spoken with), because I want to push the power level of these decks higher than they were in the previous pools.

Looking at the above pool, here are some notes on what you will find:

• Powerful pods in all 6 factions (and very few "filler" pods)
  • A very aggressive light side pool with targeted strike and icon generation
  • A defensively-oriented dark side pool with force holders and kill-effects
  • Very splashable pods to get money or a twist into every deck (sorry about the summer pool)
  • All of the essentials in each faction from the 8 official pods, but also 2 fan-made pods to spice up your decklists

Certain strategies and playstyles should also be less intuitive with these pods.

• Very few trait-based synergies are present in this pool. The ones that are feel splashable between factions.
  • Dark side has very limited targeted strike or repeated kill options. Their ability to close games should feel weaker than normal as well.
  • Enhancement removal is nearly absent from the cardpool - Utinni!!!
  • Dark side has few fate cards that directly affect board state, while LS has to rely on many fate cards that could get twisted away.

The pool should feel powerful and flexible, but tight with just the official 8 pods. This is for anyone who doesn’t have the time or ability to print out fan-made pods. But hopefully, your decks will want to include one or two of the fan-made pods to be just right, and to help with that, I have provided a single PFD print sheet for all of the fan-made pods, as well as individually separated PDF’s for your convenience. Just print on letter-sized paper, cut, sleeve, and play! If you get excited about the fan-pods and want to explore a little more, the full Legends and M-cycles can be found in the folder as well.

The first thing I want to explore with this cardpool is how the fan-made cards interact with the more powerful cards of the core game. I feel like the included pods are at the power level of the rest of the cards in here, while providing unique and fresh effects and interactions to the game. Lando’s edge battles will be crazy, and LS refresh effects should be terrified of Staz’s Take the Shot. Also, I want to see if the dominance of the dark side can be reduced from where it has been in the last tournaments. This is done by cutting down on the targeted strike and aggression of the DS and favoring strong pods for the light side (tactics Yoda, Cassian and the Falcon are here, but Vader, Tarkin, and Bane are not). I am excited to see where this tight yet powerful set of pods lands. Good luck to everyone!

• yodaman, sdrewthomson, TheNameWasTaken and 2 others like this

DonovanM

DonovanM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
+1
  • alfguys and MacRauri like this

Haxxson

Haxxson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Jaxxon

• alfguys and MacRauri like this

sdrewthomson

sdrewthomson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Yes!

Core Lando again.

• alfguys, jimmyc1972 and MacRauri like this

CoDameron

CoDameron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Signing up for Jim Cocoros - He can't make posts on here
His avatar will be winter

• alfguys, jimmyc1972 and MacRauri like this

kiramode

kiramode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
Ready to go again. Cracken as avatar.
  • MacRauri likes this

DavFlamerock

DavFlamerock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

This list looks hyyyype. Get me there

I think I wanna be Legends Kyle's enhancement again, the mercy-steal

• MacRauri likes this

TheNameWasTaken

TheNameWasTaken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

I'm in, of course! RSXW for me please - as the one player whose username has a commonly used four letter abbreviation, I feel this is the best fitting one. And of course it's an awesome card that you can bet I'll be trying to get into my deck!

• kiramode, MacRauri and sirivanhoe2 like this

Marcuspolus

Marcuspolus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

I would like to participate, core Chewie please.  Quick question, are most game played using web cam?

• sdrewthomson and MacRauri like this

Letux

Letux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
Aurra
  • DonovanM and MacRauri like this

DavFlamerock

DavFlamerock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

I would like to participate, core Chewie please.  Quick question, are most game played using web cam?

As far as I know, *all* games are being played using a webcam

• Marcuspolus likes this

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2794 posts

I'm in as always.   Give me Masters of Domain Yoda this time since it's in the cardpool. :)

• MacRauri likes this

sirivanhoe2

sirivanhoe2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Hoth Luke.

Interesting set. Looks like this set could've been used to introduce the new affiliation cards.

• MacRauri likes this

alfguys

alfguys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

woohoo! I'm in, and I want Zeb!

(been playing the star wars RPG for a while as a Zeb-inspired character)

• DonovanM, jimmyc1972 and MacRauri like this

MacRauri

MacRauri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Sign-up is at 16 so far!

1    MacRauri

2    CoDameron

3    DonovanM

4    Haxxson

5    sdrewthomson

6    jimmyc1972

7    Kiramode

8    DavFlamerock

9    TheNameWasTaken

10   Marcuspolus

11   Letux

12   yodaman

13   sirivanhoe2

14   alfguys

15   Bakkhos

16   Justin T

• jimmyc1972 likes this

Kylar

Kylar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
I’m in again! Kanan, as always :)
  • MacRauri and sirivanhoe2 like this

MacRauri

MacRauri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

updated:

1    MacRauri

2    CoDameron

3    DonovanM

4    Haxxson

5    sdrewthomson

6    jimmyc1972

7    Kiramode

8    DavFlamerock

9    TheNameWasTaken

10   Marcuspolus

11   Letux

12   yodaman

13   sirivanhoe2

14   alfguys

15   Bakkhos

16   Justin T

17   Rio

18   Kylar

19   IAmBatman

jollyroger

jollyroger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

I'll play. Vader works for me if no one has taken him yet.

• jimmyc1972 and MacRauri like this

Mitch2480

Mitch2480

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

In--Core Han

• MacRauri likes this