Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Summer 2022 Open Qualifier

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

MacRauri

MacRauri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Upon discussion after game it was determined that since Obi-Wan does not specifically state that he needs to be participating, his reaction can be triggered in any engagement in which you are the defending player. MacRauri agreed to concede to LS with dial at 9.

Card Clarification:  M-Cycle Obi-Wan needs to be participating in the engagement to have his action.  The card says "while defending a friendly objective this unit gains...."  The implication is that it is while the the unit is defending, not you as the LS player.  I thought I had modeled as much card language as possible after existing FFG cards, but that doesn't seem to be the case with this one.  I had always play-tested the card where he had to be participating to gain his ability, and I think it's better if he continue to function in that way.

• yodaman, TheNameWasTaken, jimmyc1972 and 6 others like this

TheNameWasTaken

TheNameWasTaken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Card Clarification:  M-Cycle Obi-Wan needs to be participating in the engagement to have his action.  The card says "while defending a friendly objective this unit gains...."  The implication is that it is while the the unit is defending, not you as the LS player.  I thought I had modeled as much card language as possible after existing FFG cards, but that doesn't seem to be the case with this one.  I had always play-tested the card where he had to be participating to gain his ability, and I think it's better if he continue to function in that way.

If the point is to stick as close as possible to FFG language, you'd probably want "While this unit is defending, it gains ...", as seen on Mithel and Security Troopers. The "a friendly objective" part seems superfluous; are there any situations where you'd end up defending something other than a friendly objective?

• yodaman likes this

MacRauri

MacRauri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

If the point is to stick as close as possible to FFG language, you'd probably want "While this unit is defending, it gains ...", as seen on Mithel and Security Troopers. The "a friendly objective" part seems superfluous; are there any situations where you'd end up defending something other than a friendly objective?

It could have been worded that way, but since I didn’t see the difference it wasn’t.
  • jimmyc1972 likes this

sirivanhoe2

sirivanhoe2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

TNWT (18) vs. sirivanhoe2 (19) LS split

1st game TNWT wins LS with DS dial getting to 7. 

2nd game sirivanhoe2 wins LS with DS getting to 6.

• TheNameWasTaken and MacRauri like this

jollyroger

jollyroger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

jollyroger (19) vs. jimmyc1972 (17) LS split

1st game jollyroger wins LS with DS dial getting to 5

2nd game jimmyc1972 wins LS with DS dial getting to 7

• jimmyc1972 and MacRauri like this

MacRauri

MacRauri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

updated

One more week to get your games in!

Start thinking about what decks you want to play in the Elimination Round.

TheNameWasTaken

TheNameWasTaken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

TheNameWasTaken (15) vs. jollyroger (21) LS split.

Game 1 was an excercise in patience for me like no other. If you've played me you probably know that I often attack when I shouldn't - but this time the first attack in the game was on the very last turn, when balance damage had finally taken Shadow of Nar Shaddaa out; by this time the dial had already climbed to 9. Turns out double No Match is scary for DS to attack into when you don't have targeted strike and LS does. And on my side, attacking into Boba Fett and gun-toting Defels is no fun if you have a crap edge hand and Nar Shaddaa is there to just say no to whatever you're doing. 12 points to TNWT, 9 to jollyroger.

Game 2 was much faster, just three rounds. Not much you can do to stop a Gotal swarm with Forgotten Masters out if you're not drawing units yourself and have to let them through unopposed. 3 points to TNWT, 12 to jollyroger.

• MacRauri likes this

jollyroger

jollyroger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Kiramode (24) sweeps jollyroger (20)

1st game Kiramode wins DS with LS blowing up 2 objectives and getting 3 damage across others for 9 points

2nd game Kiramode wins LS with dial getting to 11

• MacRauri likes this

TheNameWasTaken

TheNameWasTaken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

TheNameWasTaken (19) vs. jimmyc1972 (23) LS split.

In game 1, it's a surprise I even lasted to 7 on the dial what with hardly ever having the Force coming into my turn. And when your turn two *and* three deployments are "Sith Library. End deployment", that's kind of sad. It took a while, but Jim's speeders did run me down. And he also lured me into a trap very nicely; on the last attack on his turn, the shield-moving frigate comes in against a damaged objective with its gun an tactics, and two cards in Jim's hand. I was already holding the Force, so I saw no reason no to defend with Jerserra and make him spend one of those cards even if my own hand was empty. And turns out one of those cards he was holding was a Concentrated Firepower - bye bye, Jerserra, and I think the objective as well. 7 points to me, 12 to Jim.

Game 2 featured quite a bit of Jim filtering my deck and taking the fun toys away, and an early Containment Field shut down any plans I had of holding on to the Force. But no amount of deck filtering can take all the toys, so eventually Dune Sea Hero did come out to keep nasty focus tokens at bay. And I did luck into the perfect flop of cards with a Lady Luck swing (I guess she justified her name tonight!) - a Cloud City Technician, Don't Get Cocky and Well Equipped. Draw DGC, bury WE and discard CCT, and Central Computer let me draw that bonus card from the bottom. No points for guessing what I found there. Dune Sea Hero used both of those freshly drawn cards to pop an objective and ready Zeb who also went to hit big. But the game went quite long (I ended up with just 3 cards in my deck), so 12 points to me and 11 to Jim.

• jimmyc1972 and MacRauri like this

MacRauri

MacRauri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Brainiac (22) splits LS with MacRauri (18)

game 1:  Brainiac wins as LS with the dial at 6.  The Gotal Horde was too much for the Chimaera to stop.

game 2:  MacRauri wins as LS with the dial at 10.  DS was pushing for bombs, but a Y-wing won edge against Zekka, did one damage to him with All Out Brawl and then Rebel Assault took him out to wipe the board.  Luke jumped off his U-wing and finished the Trench Run on the final turn.

• TheNameWasTaken and MacRauri like this

MacRauri

MacRauri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Thank you for everyone who participated in the Open Round.  It was cool to see people experimenting with so many different builds!

If you would like to continue on to the Elimination Round please send me your decklists by Wednesday night (Aug 3).  Please don't forget to list your affiliation card as well.

I'll get things posted on Thursday, but with GenCon coming up this weekend the first round will take a little longer.

• yodaman and jimmyc1972 like this

MacRauri

MacRauri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Late entry:

jimmyc1972 (24) sweeps Brainiac (19)

Game 1:  jimmyc1972 wins as LS, dial at 9.

Game 2:  jimmy1972 wins as DS yielding 2 objectives and 4 damage on a third.