Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
* * * * -

Envoy of Pelargir

• Gberdex likes this
Envoy of Pelargir
Type: Ally Sphere: Neutral
Cost: 2
Willpower: 1 Attack: 1 Defense: 0 Hit Points: 1
Gondor.
Response: After Envoy of Pelargir enters play, add 1 resource to a Gondor or Noble hero's resource pool.

Set: HON Number: 18
Quantity: 3
Illustrator: Magali Villeneuve

10 Comments

Funny comments about this on Cardboard of the Rings podcast (episode 37)
Great card which you would be glad to see in your hand turn one - gives you a free resource and a chump blocker.

She's okay as a resource fixing chump but if you can fit in a Leadership Hero I would almost always rather see Squire of the Citadel or Errand-Rider. Or Snowborn Scout if I don't need the resource exchange...

She costs practically 1 and she's neutral. She finds room as a X3 in almost all my decks.

She costs practically 1 and she's neutral. She finds room as a X3 in almost all my decks.

I don't know...I just don't see it. In a non-Leadership Gondor deck then I can totally see why you play her. Or a Gondor Imrahil Deck. Or maybe Tri-Sphere with all Noble/Gondor Heroes. But outside of those it's hard for me to see what she bumps out to make room for her. 

In Gondor, Leadership gives you Errand-Rider and Squire--two much better chumps. Now of course, neither have any Willpower or Attack but that's not usually why I'm playing them.

And outside of Gondor there are usually better options based on trait-synergy. She used to have a place in my Noldor decks since they lacked decent, low-cost allies but as that's changed--and their synergy has improved--she's fallen out.

I'm actually pretty curious about how you're using her and what you aren't including to make room. Are you finding that you're using her more as just a cheap source of Willpower and Attack rather than as a chump? Or are you just building pretty cheap decks to flood the board with lower-cost allies?

For instance, she's excellent in an Outlands build for several reasons:

The first couple of turns are the most critical, since, from then on, the engine starts going. The best of those builds (imo at least) are tri-sphere ones, so a neutral 1-coster to bite an attack in the first turns is always welcome. I prefer her to the Squire and the Errand-rider (though I often include 2-3 of the latter too) for such a build, since the first couple of Leadership resources are saved for the Steward. If I draw an Errand-rider and an Envoy at my starting hand, I'll always pick the Envoy. Her Gondor trait proves useful too, since a single Sword of Morthond adds another monster at my bestiary, provided I have one on the table, of course. She's cheap, she's neutral, she's Gondor. What's not to like? The non-neutrality of the other two leaves them a click behind in that build.

For instance, she's excellent in an Outlands build for several reasons:

The first couple of turns are the most critical, since, from then on, the engine starts going. The best of those builds (imo at least) are tri-sphere ones, so a neutral 1-coster to bite an attack in the first turns is always welcome. I prefer her to the Squire and the Errand-rider (though I often include 2-3 of the latter too) for such a build, since the first couple of Leadership resources are saved for the Steward. If I draw an Errand-rider and an Envoy at my starting hand, I'll always pick the Envoy. Her Gondor trait proves useful too, since a single Sword of Morthond adds another monster at my bestiary, provided I have one on the table, of course. She's cheap, she's neutral, she's Gondor. What's not to like? The non-neutrality of the other two leaves them a click behind in that build.

Yeah, I can see Outlands. 

When I think of Outlands I tend to think of Imrahil decks (which as I mentioned, she compliments pretty well just as a cheap body) and mono-Leadership decks (for Lord of Morthond and Strength of Arms) where I think the Squire and Errand-Rider (and Snowbourn Scout) are better options. 

But yeah, she has a space in Tri-Sphere as long as there's some Noble and Gondor traits about. She's also not bad in Gandalf-Outlands as he can use his neutral resources for her if he hasn't hit on a pipe yet. 

The only tri-sphere deck where she has no place is the silvan one, since the room there is really tight.

The only tri-sphere deck where she has no place is the silvan one, since the room there is really tight.

Sure, like I said, as long as there's some Noble and Gondor about. Otherwise she's a 2-cost. 

There's no need to include her in a deck if she costs two, especially solo.

LotR is the first card game I've ever played where 1-cost characters are 4-stars (at least), just by being 1-costers. And I've played plenty.

© 2011 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc., all rights reserved. No part of this product may be reproduced without specific permission. Middle-earth, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and the characters, items, events and places therein are trademarks or registered trademarks of The Saul Zaentz Company d/b/a Middle-earth Enterprises. Fantasy Flight Games, Fantasy Flight Supply, and the FFG logo are trademarks of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved to their respective owners.