Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Welcome Back Pierson Payne!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Welcome back Pierson Payne!  Glad to have you back in the Warmhammer community and looking forward to seeing you around again and at events once things get back to normal.

• davedave, TheEmpireBringsSexyBack, sharpobject and 3 others like this

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

This is from him

• Jamestrunk likes this

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Pierson sent that to me to post

davedave

davedave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

This motivated me enough to search for that old thread.

Page 7 is my favourite.

• TheEmpireBringsSexyBack likes this

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

This motivated me enough to search for that old thread.

Page 7 is my favourite.

Yeah, that's definitely an all-time classic thread.

There were actually a ton of threads about this incident and its aftermath back in the day.  Enough that it actually took me a while to find the right one when I went looking for it.  But, at the same time, reading through old threads is a fun way to waste some time and reminisce.  One post I dug up that I thought was particularly interesting was this one from the thread where Pierson Payne's ban was announced:

Five years? Sorry, he's guilty and deserved consequences, but that's insane. Chances of Conquest (or indeed most of the current FFG line) still being supported as an official OP game in five years time? Zero.

Seems unduly harsh to me.

So, obv the dude is wrong about the severity; FFG got that right.  But, credit where credit is due, he gets the Nostradamus award for predicting FFG would cancel/stop supporting "Conquest (or indeed most of the current FFG line" "in five years time."  Note that it's conveniently 5 years, 7 months since he made his "in five years time" prediction.

I went back and found the event listing for Worlds 2016 (which was the first worlds after Pierson Payne was banned).  There were seven games played during that Worlds:

-A Game of Thrones LCG
-Android Netrunner LCG
-Warhammer Conquest LCG
-Star Wars The Card Game LCG
-X-Wing Miniatures
-Imperial Assault
-Star Wars Armada

Of those seven, three were killed by FFG (and/or circumstances beyond their control): Netrunner, Star Wars LCG, and of course Warmhammer Conquest.  I don't know a ton about Imperial Assault, but the last time I checked, it was 'completed' a while back.  Which I believe means its done and over just like the previously mentioned three games, just without the drama they had.  So by my reckoning that's "most of the current FFG line" already.  It's worth noting that the X-Wing Miniatures and Game of Thrones LCG played at Worlds 2016 were version 1 of both these games.  Since then, both games were both rebooted to version 2.  And I think GoT 2.0 is kinda dead too, just not officially, while X-Wing 2.0 is doing as fine as can be expected given the pandemic.  So that leaves Armada as the only game represented at Worlds 2016 that's still alive in the same form.  (Although as far as I know, it never had a huge playerbase and most of it has probably faded away by now like GoT.)

Kaloo

Kaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

I went back and found the event listing for Worlds 2016 (which was the first worlds after Pierson Payne was banned).  There were seven games played during that Worlds:

-A Game of Thrones LCG
-Android Netrunner LCG
-Warhammer Conquest LCG
-Star Wars The Card Game LCG
-X-Wing Miniatures
-Imperial Assault
-Star Wars Armada

Of those seven, three were killed by FFG (and/or circumstances beyond their control): Netrunner, Star Wars LCG, and of course Warmhammer Conquest.  I don't know a ton about Imperial Assault, but the last time I checked, it was 'completed' a while back.  Which I believe means its done and over just like the previously mentioned three games, just without the drama they had.  So by my reckoning that's "most of the current FFG line" already.  It's worth noting that the X-Wing Miniatures and Game of Thrones LCG played at Worlds 2016 were version 1 of both these games.  Since then, both games were both rebooted to version 2.  And I think GoT 2.0 is kinda dead too, just not officially, while X-Wing 2.0 is doing as fine as can be expected given the pandemic.  So that leaves Armada as the only game represented at Worlds 2016 that's still alive in the same form.  (Although as far as I know, it never had a huge playerbase and most of it has probably faded away by now like GoT.)

It's also worth adding that Destiny and L5R were released after 2016 and have both died since, i.e. under 5 years

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

That's a good point.  I knew about Destiny, but I hadn't heard L5R bit the big one yet.  They also launched Arkham Horror LCG (in 2016?) to replace the Call of Cthulu LCG, and I have no idea if that's still kickin' with any sizable playerbase.

In a similar vein, there was also a mass firing at FFG HQ in the fall of 2019 (I think?) that killed off some stuff like their in-house RPG and online games divisions.

So I guess the moral of the story is don't get too attached to your FFG games.  And if you have an opportunity to bet on the lifespan of one of their games, take the under.