Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Player Questions, Round 3

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
995 replies to this topic

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3595 posts
Ding Ding Ding, round 2 is done lets start round 3

The previous threads
Round 1: http://www.cardgamed...ayer-questions/
Round 2: http://www.cardgamed...stions-round-2/

emptyrepublic

emptyrepublic

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 702 posts
Continuing the discussion from the previous thread I think Shadowcat was referring to one of the two incarnations of the Greatjon...

Greatjon Umber (Core)
Greatjon Umber (WLL)

emptyrepublic

emptyrepublic

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 702 posts
The point of him being that unlike naval enhanced characters the Greatjon can jump into challenges in which you are not participating.

sonicqaz

sonicqaz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
What makes Jaqen H'gar illegal? Why does it need a reprinting?

Megalj

Megalj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
He was just too strong of a powerhouse, from what I gather. The inclusion of all house specific keywords made him an absolute monster.

The Ambush dropping in before defenders/attackers, Infamy gathering powering and adding strength, adds to the Intimidate, Vigilant/Vengeful standing is always a good option, and Stalwart just in case he dies.

Here's my question:
When Theon Greyjoy (WLL) is brought into play during dominance, does his strength count for the total?

JCWamma

JCWamma

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 2033 posts
It's illegal because FFG banned it due to it being absurdly powerful. It's being reprinted (along with the entire cycle it's from) with errata that makes it legal to use again.

JCWamma

JCWamma

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 2033 posts

Here's my question:
When Theon Greyjoy (WLL) is brought into play during dominance, does his strength count for the total?

Yes. His passive effect (and then response) happen in the "beginning of phase" framework action, and the strength count for dominance happens after that.
  • Megalj likes this

Hedjman

Hedjman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Yes. His passive effect (and then response) happen in the "beginning of phase" framework action, and the strength count for dominance happens after that.

But this happens after Shadow actions right? Or can I wait to see if he's coming back in to decide if I need to bring out a guy to meet/beat his additional strength? The "At the Beginning of the Dominance Phase" is what is catching me up. Same time as Shadows? FP first?

JCWamma

JCWamma

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 2033 posts
Shadows happens before the beginning of phase framework action, so Shadows then Theon. As an aside, this is why it's completely useless to use Alchemist's Guild Hall (TBoBB)'s kneel effect on Ser Jaime Lannister (LotR), because he'll immediately stand up again.

Hedjman

Hedjman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

As an aside, this is why it's completely useless to use Alchemist's Guild Hall (TBoBB)'s kneel effect on Ser Jaime Lannister (LotR), because he'll immediately stand up again.

That is very useful to know. Thank-you.

slothgodfather

slothgodfather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2951 posts

What makes Jaqen H'gar illegal? Why does it need a reprinting?

It is important to note there are two current Jaqen cards. Only one of which is banned.

Jaqen H'ghar (SB) - banned & will be reworded/reprinted.
Jaqen H'ghar (FtC) - not banned

Megalj

Megalj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Situation:
I'm running the Black Sails Agenda, and I have an Apostle of The Drowned God (RotK) out along with a Fleet from Pyke (RotK).

An opponent declares a 4 strength power challenge with no other effects.

I choose to defend with my fleet, and choose Apostle to jump in, naval, as an attacker.

Then I'll win the challenge, 5 to 7.

According to the wording, do I get to search through my hold through Black Sails and activate the trigger on Apostle?

Grimwalker

Grimwalker

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Yes, you would. Not sure it's optimal, but you do what you have to.

kizerman86

kizerman86

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1177 posts
Can you use Northern Cave (TWoW) after claim?

I would think not, but the fact that Brienne of Tarth (PotS) keeps you from saving or responding even after claim makes me thing it might.

emptyrepublic

emptyrepublic

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 702 posts
No, once you've hit claim only Cancels/Saves are allowed until you've gotten to the challenge response window. If Brienne was in the challenge you couldn't activate the location anyway; the moment she's declared the opponent loses the ability to do any triggered effects.
  • kizerman86 likes this

kizerman86

kizerman86

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

No, once you've hit claim only Cancels/Saves are allowed until you've gotten to the challenge response window. If Brienne was in the challenge you couldn't activate the location anyway; the moment she's declared the opponent loses the ability to do any triggered effects.

Good, that makes sense. Thanks!

slothgodfather

slothgodfather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2951 posts
I'm a little confused by your example actually, who control's Brienne?

Anyways, the location is a challenge action, so you can only use this effect during the 2 Player Action windows that occur during a challenge (There is one after attackers are declared and there is another after stealth and defenders have been declared). There is no further player action until after the challenge completely resolves.

If Brienne was under the control of your opponent, you would not be able to use the location at all due to her text. If you control her then you would be able to use the location during either of the above 2 Player Action windows.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1890 posts
So, here is a question that came up on Thursday at are local tournament and no one really knew the answer.

Alright, so the new Epic Battle from the latest chapter pack ((Name escapes me right now.)) it says that you can take control of a opponents location after you win a challenge in which a naval icon character attacks as part of claim replacement. Now, we all have figured out that you can take a House of Dreams location doing this. The question is, Does that card still retain the immunities when it switches control?

ShadowcatX2000

ShadowcatX2000

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1394 posts
I can't say for sure. I think it would though. However, it is worth pointing out that it is immune to your opponent's card effects still, not your card effects.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1890 posts
Well, i think that would change depending on who has control of the card. If you had control of it and i was to take control of it, the opponent would now be you and thus be the person it would be immune to. Though, i have no clue how this will work out. It could just as easily be considered a new card since it is switch sides of the board.