Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Playing against Cthulhu with a Syndicate deck

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

does cthulhu faction have cards that can trigger when there is only one card committed to a story? or have I imagined that? as if I have two cards to put down I'll be committing them to two stories to get the maximum tokens, won't I?  

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Are you thinking of Black Dog perhaps?  That's in the Words of Power expansion though which I believe your opponent doesn't have.  It's actually a Shub card but can be used in any deck.

An event card typically just does what it does and doesn't have anything to do with how many guys are at a story.

But yes, if you have two guys and can split them up you will be able to get more tokens provided that the way is clear.  If you are going to be opposed they might have to go together for safety but your preference would be for more tokens if possible.  This is why exhausting your opponent's characters is so helpful for Syndicate.

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Ok I'll remember that, will update with how I get on

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Ok my mate switched decks and went mono shub! and I still lost!

I was 2-0 up but he won a story which meant that I had to return one of the stories back to the story card pile! 

My initial draw was rubbish 1 character and 1 support, the rest event cards so I did a mulligan which resulted in 

Lena, Immurement, Bouncer, Pit Boss, Feint, On the Lam, Hatchet Man and Crooked Attorney so far so good?

I resourced Immurement, Bouncer and Crooked Attorney

As I say early stages were good and I went 2-0 up but didn't go for the return story to the story card pile first! I had already won a story so that would have meant I would have lost a card, in hindsight that should have been the first one to win as it would have prevented him from doing what he did!

I did managed to exhaust a few of his cards but he was able to put more tokens on the board so at the end I was trying to defend three stories each with 3 tokens on them, which is an impossible task!

So my error let me down again!! the cards I did have in play though didn't have the icons to compete, apart from pit boss and Martin Herring who did let me win the struggle as we tied but Martin had Fast but one of his cards gave +1 toughness so all it did was make one card take a wound.

I'm not sure about immurement either? I know it takes a card out but also gives him a free resource so enabling him to get characters out quicker.

Oh and he does have the words of power pack as he played black dog! I did manage to get rid of two of them though? he also had a support card which meant I had to discard a card for each card I played from my hand.

Maybe it was the draw this time but I din't feel I could commit characters to a story I knew I wouldn't get any tokens for but should I have put a character to defend so it stopped him gaining an unopposed token??

Fed up now!!

linuxmaier

linuxmaier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
One thing you might try is swapping decks with your friend and seeing how the match goes. Seeing it from his side with his cards will give you a better idea of what threats he holds for you and that will let you take better risks when you go back to syndicate.

Our maybe you'll find you like the play style of his decks more in the first place and you can builds a new deck.

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

I forgot to mention my final resource was 2-2-2 and the cards resourced were

Immurement

Danny O'Bannion's Office

On The Lam

Martin Herring

Clover Club Bouncer

Crooked Attorney

I don't know about switching decks if keeps swapping them? I think it's just me? plus I can't afford to be buying more deluxe packs yet

Greynomad38

Greynomad38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
If you're referring to Village of Ash, your opponent couldn't have triggered it as he didn't have a valid target.
  • Jhaelen likes this

linuxmaier

linuxmaier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

I don't know about switching decks if keeps swapping them? I think it's just me? plus I can't afford to be buying more deluxe packs yet

Yeah, I meant just swapping them for a play session, if your opponent doesn't mind. That way you can get a few reps in with his deck and understand better how he's putting the pressure on you, so you can coutner it.

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

If you're referring to Village of Ash, your opponent couldn't have triggered it as he didn't have a valid target.

No it was Terrors in the dark http://www.cardgamed...in-the-Dark-SoA

Obtuse

Obtuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
That's not a story card?

Greynomad38

Greynomad38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Sorry. Should've clarified. I was responding to the following: "I was 2-0 up but he won a story which meant that I had to return one of the stories back to the story card pile! "

If that story card was Village of Ash, neither you nor your opponent could trigger it in a 2-0 situation.

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

It was this story card

http://www.cardgamed...eamwalkers-Core

I clicked on the link and this is what came up

I will say card interaction has changed A LOT during the changes in designers for the game.

For example, Damon and I discussed how the numerous stories work like Dreamwalkers (Core). Apparently I have been playing this card wrong for years. James Hata sides on if you won this story and it is your only won story and your opponent has won one story that it would be only your opponent that shuffles their story card back into the story deck. But Damon Stone believes that both players must shuffle a won story card into the deck. So Damon went to Eric Lang and asked him and as the tie breaker Lang decided that it was as Damon believes.

Obtuse

Obtuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
Yea, you guys got that wrong. Your friend would have been unable to trigger it as he couldn't meet the condition.

As an aside, they printed a new story deck for use with draft play that had a "new" story that was basically the same card except the wording was fixed so that it could be used as you guys did.

You guys certainly aren't the first, and likely not the last, to be tripped up by the card.

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
Note that when you play Crooked Attorney it will destroy his Terrors in the Dark. Therefore, if you know he likes to run night cards (and Shub can benefit from them greatly), you can hold the Attorney as a back-up weapon.

EDIT: Fixed the link.

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Note that when you play Crooked Attorney it will destroy his Terrors in the Dark.  Therefore, if you know he likes to run night cards (and Shub can benefit from them greatly), you can hold the Attorney as a back-up weapon.

yes I remember but I had to resource him at the start and didn't draw him again in the game, was I wrong to resource him at the start? did you see my starting hand? what do you think?

and that terrors in the dark link goes to the village of ash card? how do you get a card inserted like that anyway?

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

yes I remember but I had to resource him at the start and didn't draw him again in the game, was I wrong to resource him at the start? did you see my starting hand? what do you think?

and that terrors in the dark link goes to the village of ash card? how do you get a card inserted like that anyway?

I don't think you were wrong to resource him.  The cards in your starting hand were superior and worked very well together.  Note that in some ways Terrors in the Dark can help you if you end up discarding a tactic.  You can use Naomi to play it!

Sorry about the incorrect link (I was hyperlinking Village of Ash in response to your question under the Dreamwalkers card).  To hide a link behind text, do the following:

[url = paste link here]Put Text Here[/url ] but without any of the spaces. I put in spaces so you can see the code.

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

so it was mainly down to a poor draw and beginner ignorance of the story card effects? I think I would have won another card if I hadn't lost the other story meaning I had to win two meaning the game went on longer and he got more cards out.

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Black Dog this guy came out too but I managed to get rid of three of them, but is he better than Martin Herring ?

by the way how can I post images into posts? because I took some photos on my phone and wanted to add them here

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

anyone know how you insert pictures into a post? I have some on my phone from a recent game I wanted to add.

Nejad

Nejad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

anyone know how you insert pictures into a post? I have some on my phone from a recent game I wanted to add.

I haven't done it on this forum specifically, but I have on other forums that use BBCode formatting. If I get it wrong, I'm sure someone will drive me insane.

First, upload your images to your favorite hosting site (I use photobucket). Then, use the "Image" button on the formatting bar to insert an URL pointing to the image. Some hosting sites make it easy to insert the IMG tags directly or you can type the IMG code by hand.

For example:

th_DSCN2254.jpg

Was inserted with the following BBCode tag:

[img=http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u103/KraZ440/th_DSCN2254.jpg]