Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A few questions from new players...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts
30. The fate card is an enemy card. The effect in the fate card is an effect. The Phantom cannot be affected if it is ready and in an engagement. This means Heat of Battle, Echoes, Seeds, I have you now.

31. To Focus a card that card must be ready. To place a focus on a card it doesn't matter what the state it. The first is almost always a cost from memory.

32. Wicket is a reaction to him being declared as an attacker. The is not participating and so it can be affected.

33. The force pips on the pilot of the interceptor count yo the force struggle regardless of whether the interceptor is ready or committed.

34. The engagement finishes with no result if the Tax for Tarkin Doctrine is not paid. Because the units did not have to focus to strike they are ready and able to participate in other engagements. An engagement cannot be declared against that objective again this turn (Exception Wookie Navigator), though you might be able to redirect back to that objective with some effects.

35. Damage is assigned. Then you choose how much you will protect. You cannot choose more damage the protecting unit has remaining damage capacity. You reassign the protected damage to the protecting unit. Damage in excess of the units damage capacity is discarded and the damage is dealt.

36. There is no action window within the framework for assigning and dealing damage so the Rogue Squadron X-Wing cannot use its ability until an action window opens up. If this means it does because it has no damage capacity remaining then it dies and the pilot dies with it.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Thanks Jarratt!

30.  So I was right, thanks!

31.  I'm familiar with "Focus this card" lines but can you name any cards that allows the player to place a focus on it even thought it's not ready? ie, a card that allows you to activate it's ability and place a focus token on it even if it already has one; therefore ending up with TWO focus tokens?

32, 33, 36.  Interesting development regarding Wicket!  And thanks for confirming the rest!

34.  Let me make sure I get this properly.  X-Wing attacks Objective 1, he Tarkins me and I can't pay the Tax.  Same X-Wing now attacks Objective 2, attack resolves.  Y-Wing attacks Tarkin Doctrine, attack resolves.  Jedi unit cannot attack Objective 1?  So essentially, The Tarkin Doctrine means I can only successfully attack TWO objectives instead of three if I cannot pay the Tax?

35.  So are you saying damage and protect occur simultaneously?  The argument here was that the damage was to be dealt to the target unit first, then the protect occurs.  So if the damage dealt was enough to kill the target unit, the protect unit is "too late" to save target unit.  If the damage dealt was LESS than what is needed to kill the target unit, the protect unit kinda "heals" the target unit by taking it's damage.  I was arguing that it's more like the protect unit "jumps in the line of fire" and so the damage is split between the two... sure, damage is still dealt, but is now dealt simultaneously to the target unit and the protect unit but the total damage is split between the two units.

WookieeRoar

WookieeRoar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

31. I guess what Jarratt meant is that it's always possible to use an effect that places an additional focus token (usually through tactics) on an already focused unit, regardless of how many focus tokens are already on that card. While using the "focus this card to ..." effects can only be used as long as the card to be focused is still ready.

As for friendly effects that place additional focus tokens, for the Dark side there's Jabba's Pleasure Barge ("Reaction: After your conflict phase begins, move 1 focus token from a Character you control to this unit.").

And the Light Side now has the Outer Rim Mystic, which is a reaction to another unit receiving a Focus token: "Reaction: After a focus token is placed on a friendly unit by an enemy card effect or combat icon, move that focus token to this unit. (Limit once per turn.)"

FYI ... sometimes you even want to use a "focus to ..." effect if only to preventing a comitted unit from getting double focus.

34. Indeed. Tarkin's pod is nasty that way.

35. Damage is assigned to the target. Then possible modifiers to this damage are assigned and finally the remaining damage is dealt to the unit (same is true for objectives, btw). Protecting damage is one of those possible modifiers.

So if you have a unit with 2 HP remaining and a protector with 2 HP remaining, and your opponent strikes for:

a. 2 unit damage => the protecting unit can take up to 2 damage, sacrificing itself while the original unit takes no damage or the protecting unit takes one damage, the original target takes one damage and both units stay in play.

b. 3 unit damage => the protecting unit can take up to 2 damage, sacrificing itself so the original unit now only receives 1 HP damage and has 1 HP left and thus is able to strike, or use a action, or whatever you want to keep that unit in play for. Or you do nothing and your original target dies to the damage. If you really want, you can still take 1 damage on the protecting unit while the original target still dies of the 2 remaining damage ... doing this could be interesting if you protect with Edge of Darkess Chewbacca or a Wookiee Warrior.

c. 4 unit damage => you can still assign one damage to your protecting unit (if that damage would trigger some additional effect) but you will not be able to get enough damage on your protecting unit to save the originally targeted unit, since the protecting unit can only take up to a maximum of 2 damage, leaving the remaining 2 damage to be placed on the original target.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Ah, thanks for the clarifications!

Your example on Chewbacca raises an interesting point:

37.  I have an X-Wing with Wes Janson and a Y-Wing.  Y-Wing attacks, opponent defends with a 1HP unit.  Can I trigger Wes to kill the defender even though Wes and his X-Wing aren't in the engagement?

Thaliak

Thaliak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Yes. Wes Janson's action only requires that an engagement be going on. It doesn't matter whether he is in that engagement.

Similarly, Mauler Mithel can remove a friendly Fighter from an engagement even if he's not participating in it. I've seen his ability used to attack with a unit that has edge-enabled icons, resolve the edge battle, and pull the unit out if the edge battle goes in the Light Side's favor. It's also sometimes used to bring a fighter with an edge bonus from Precision Flying or Baron Fel into an engagement for the edge battle, then pull it out so it can attack elsewhere.

Grand Admiral Thrawn is another card with an ability that can be used even if he's not participating in the engagement.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Thanks again for confirming!

38.  What is the minimum player attendance for an "official" tournament of SW LCG?  I'm not talking about a big tournament, just a small store-run one but with official FFG prizes?  I was under the impression it was 4 players minimum (in order to do 3 rounds) just like other FFG games but my FLGS guy tells me they can run it with two players?

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3914 posts

Thanks again for confirming!

38.  What is the minimum player attendance for an "official" tournament of SW LCG?  I'm not talking about a big tournament, just a small store-run one but with official FFG prizes?  I was under the impression it was 4 players minimum (in order to do 3 rounds) just like other FFG games but my FLGS guy tells me they can run it with two players?

The minimum size for tournaments is indeed 4.  That said, for season kits, stores can do approximately whatever they want with them. 

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

I'm confused.  The minimum is 4 but stores can do whatever they want??

Thaliak

Thaliak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

I suspect he meant that FFG doesn't enforce the minimum. I've played in two store championships that only had three people, and in one of those, a player dropped midway to play Netrunner instead. The stores didn't think they would have a better opportunity to use the kits, so we ended up splitting the prizes.

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3914 posts

I actually didn't mean that FFG/stores don't enforce the minimum (though that is also true).  Remains to be seen if FFG actually does anything to enforce the minimum (stores are supposed to report a bunch of information about their results, including number of participants).  If stores didn't lie and reported fewer than 4 participants, it's possible that they won't get store championships next year.

I was more referring to the season kits instead of the store championship kits.  While you still really need 4 players to run a tournament, stores are free to distribute the season kit materials in any way they desire, including via events with fewer than 4 people.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Are you saying that season kits can be "disposed of" any way the store sees fit?  That FFG is only really strict about store champ kits?

39.  While looking on eBay, I found this listing in which the guy is selling 1 of each pod and those pods that comes as single pods he is keeping.  I don't think he's making money off of this, but I can't see the point either.  Why buy something but only keep 1 copy of each pod?  They're shipped with 2 copies of each pod for a reason!  I think I saw this same guy selling stuff off of force packs as well.  Anyone knows what's going on here?

haku

haku

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Are you saying that season kits can be "disposed of" any way the store sees fit?  That FFG is only really strict about store champ kits?

39.  While looking on eBay, I found this listing in which the guy is selling 1 of each pod and those pods that comes as single pods he is keeping.  I don't think he's making money off of this, but I can't see the point either.  Why buy something but only keep 1 copy of each pod?  They're shipped with 2 copies of each pod for a reason!  I think I saw this same guy selling stuff off of force packs as well.  Anyone knows what's going on here?

Could be a fan of the artwork. If you don't play the game then it makes perfect sense to not need to have 2 copies of everything

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3914 posts

Yep.  Though I don't know that FFG is particularly strict about the store championship kits... but in theory that's where the minimum actually kicks in.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Could be a fan of the artwork. If you don't play the game then it makes perfect sense to not need to have 2 copies of everything

Hmmm... interesting.  However, won't whoever is buying it getting something that's essentially useless?  Unless he's a "collector of the artwork" as well, won't he have to buy the force packs anyway?

Personally, I'm thinking of buying another Join Us or Die force pack so that I can have two decks that have MTFBWY Yoda (my son plays the other deck on tournaments) but I'd want TWO Yoda pods, so again, that scenario (one pod only) would be worthless.

Yep.  Though I don't know that FFG is particularly strict about the store championship kits... but in theory that's where the minimum actually kicks in.

I guess my FLGS can do what they want....

40.  I have two Imperial Inquisitors in play, then I play Jerec and use him to attack and remove an enemy unit from the Force.  Does this trigger only one Imperial Inquisitor or can I trigger both units?

41.  If I use a Phase I Dark Trooper to attack, do I put two focus tokens on it or just one?

I'd also like to mark this point as I've finally gotten a copy of all pods!  My collection is now missing just a second copy of Edge of Darkness to be up-to-date and complete but I think I'll hold off buying the second copy until I want to use pods from that expansion!  I'm so amazed at the awesome art on the pods and some of the abilities and units make me excited to play with those pods, I can imagine making multiple decks! 

Thaliak

Thaliak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

You wouldn't be the first to buy a second copy of Join Us Or Die. I've got two playsets of May the Force Be With You, and there are days I'm tempted to get a third.

Both Imperial Inquisitors can trigger their reactions.

Yes. That is one of the downsides to being committed to the Force. Hopefully, you have Dark Trooper Project out to make the troopers elite.

The art is definitely fun to look at.

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Thanks very much for the replies!  I had one game with a friend where he used one trigger to bring out TWO units that used that trigger so it was awesome to see that effect and knowing it was legal.

Why would you want a third copy of MTFBWY?  Three Jedi decks?

Thaliak

Thaliak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

I splash MtFBWY in Smuggler and Rebel decks because it is one of the game's strongest objective sets. The objective lets you attack, then ready the attacker for the Force Struggle and possibly defense. Yoda eclipses more expensive units with his ability to kill one enemy while focusing another, as well as Elite and five Force pips. Yoda, You Seek Yoda lets him come in at action speed and gives him much-needed guns in the early game. Seeds of Decay can make edge battles irrelevant if the opponent has a key unit committed. If they play around it by committing chuds, it'll be easier for you to get the Force.

Right now, I have MtFBWY in a Capital Ship deck and a defensive Jedi/Smuggler build centered around Ties of Blood and Renegade Reinforcements. I'd like to have it in decks built around Strike Team Assemble and the card-drawing effect from Forgotten Heroes as well, but I doubt I'll end up buying a third copy. I often end up building decks I rarely play because of time constraints.

• Darikgrey likes this

IntysRule

IntysRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Time, time.... too many games, too little time!

42.  Card effects that are "Limit once per turn," does that mean I can do the effect twice --- once on my turn and another on my opponent's turn?  I'm specifically thinking about Attack Pattern Delta and the like...

43.  Pilot cards --- new "pilots" come with a "Pilot [x]" entry on the card effect box but old pilots say something like "played as an enhancement."  Can I then have Luke Skywalker as an enhancement on a Speeder unit and also have Keyan Farlander as a PILOT enhancement on the same Speeder?

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3914 posts

42.  Card effects that are "Limit once per turn," does that mean I can do the effect twice --- once on my turn and another on my opponent's turn?  I'm specifically thinking about Attack Pattern Delta and the like...

43.  Pilot cards --- new "pilots" come with a "Pilot [x]" entry on the card effect box but old pilots say something like "played as an enhancement."  Can I then have Luke Skywalker as an enhancement on a Speeder unit and also have Keyan Farlander as a PILOT enhancement on the same Speeder?

42. Both your turn and your opponent's turn are separate turns, so effects that are limit once/1 per turn can be used once on your turn and once on your opponent's turn.

43. It used to be possible to have double Pilots on a vehicle (both Luke and Wedge, or 2 Black Squadron Pilots).  However, when the Pilot rules were updated with the Rogue Squadron cycle, a rule was added that each vehicle could only have a single Pilot enhancement at a time.  The 3 "old" pilots all still have the Pilot trait and are thus still Pilot enhancements even though they do not use the Pilot (x) keyword and as such are subject to the 1 Pilot limit.

KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1890 posts

42. Both your turn and your opponent's turn are separate turns, so effects that are limit once/1 per turn can be used once on your turn and once on your opponent's turn.

To go further there's a difference between "Limit once per turn" and "Limit 1 per turn."

Cards like Attack Pattern Delta say "Limit once per turn.". This means you can only trigger this instance of the ability once per turn (note your opponent and you take separate turns). If you happened to have two copies of the objective in play you could still trigger each one.

If a card, like Force Choke, says "Limit 1 per turn" then you can only play or trigger one copy of that card each turn.