Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Unicorn Deck Discussion Thread

Unicorn Deck discussion friendship

• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

GasPoweredStick

GasPoweredStick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

So here is (Hopefully) the place where we can discuss Unicorn decks, what makes them good, bad, experiences with particular cards and splashes, so on and so forth.

To get the ball rolling, here is the deck I am currently using - 

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Legend of the Five Rings Deckbuilder

Deck Clan: Unicorn

Total Cards: (91)

Total Conflict: (44) Total Dynasty: (42)

Total Influence: (12/13)

Stronghold:  
1x Golden Plains Outpost (Core Set #7)

Role:  
1x Keeper of Fire (Core Set #216A)

Province: (5)  
Air (1/1) Earth (1/1) Fire (1/1) Void (1/1) Water (1/1)  
1x Ancestral Lands (Core Set #15)
1x Endless Plains (Core Set #14)
1x Fertile Fields (Core Set #18)
1x Meditations on the Tao (Core Set #20)
1x Shameful Display (Core Set #24)

Character [Dynasty]: (46)  
2x Aggressive Moto (Core Set #111)
3x Border Rider (Core Set #112)
3x Giver of Gifts (Core Set #115)
2x Ide Trader (Core Set #116)
3x Keeper Initiate (Core Set #124)
3x Meishōdō Wielder (Core Set #113)
3x Moto Horde (Core Set #119)
3x Moto Youth (Core Set #109)
3x Shinjo Altansarnai (Core Set #121)
3x Shinjo Outrider (Core Set #114)
3x Shinjo Tatsuo (Core Set #120)
3x Utaku Infantry (Core Set #110)
3x Utaku Yumino (Core Set #118)
3x Warrior Poet (Core Set #117)

Character [Conflict]: (6/10)  
2x Iuchi Wayfinder (Core Set #190)
3x Tattooed Wanderer (Core Set #149)
1x Togashi Kazue (Core Set #150)

Attachment: (12)  
2x Favored Mount (Core Set #192)
3x Fine Katana (Core Set #200)
3x Ornate Fan (Core Set #201)
3x Spyglass (Core Set #193)
1x Born in War (Core Set #194)

Event: (26)  
2x Assassination (Core Set #203)
3x Banzai! (Core Set #204)
2x Captive Audience (Core Set #196)
1x Cavalry Reserves (Core Set #199)
3x Charge! (Core Set #210)
3x Court Games (Core Set #206)
2x Fallen in Battle (Core Set #211)
3x I Am Ready (Core Set #197)
2x Mirumoto’s Fury (Core Set #159)
2x Rout (Core Set #213)
3x Way of the Unicorn (Core Set #198)

Holding: (2)  
2x Favorable Ground (Core Set #128)

So far I really like the Dragon splash. Tattooed Wanderer gets a lot of use, both as an attachment, as well as a well costed conflict character. Kazue is only 1x as she is a bit of a risk, but against deck without attachment/character removal, with the surplus of unicorn movement abilities, can be a major economic game winner. Mirumoto's fury is very nice as a defensive ability as well.

In regards to cut Unicorn cards, while I may try out Ide messenger again, currently she's quite a large investment for what can ultimately be accomplished by an Armored Warhorse - of which 2 already seems to be enough. Born in way is nice, but quite a heavy investment, so I'm reducing the number to try and see whether I miss it or not. Ide trader can be good, but with attachment removal his ability will be triggered at most once per turn realistically, so I don;t want to be swamped with ide traders when I need more powerful cavalry units to secure a win. Aggressive Moto is decent, but not hugely good, and I think I;d rather see other cards. I may  drop him to 0x, but I don't want to overly upset my curve.

estyles

estyles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Ide Messenger seems like a good splash card for other clans, but not that great for Unicorn, at least not right now.

Ide Trader seems amazing to me.  It can be triggered on every conflict, and you can bring him in bowed on defense just to gain his 1 Fate and not lose an honor for unopposed.

What Unicorn really needs, IMO, is a way to declare conflicts with no participants, see who defends, and then decide whether or not to move characters in.  A conflict card that does that would be okay, but not consistent.  Maybe the next stronghold will do that?  I would think any such effect would also say something about not claiming Fate off the ring...  either you can't claim the Fate until you have a character present, or you can't claim the Fate unless you win the battle, and in either case if the defender claims a ring with Fate on it, he gets that Fate.

HidaHayabusa

HidaHayabusa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

What Unicorn really needs, IMO, is a way to declare conflicts with no participants, see who defends, and then decide whether or not to move characters in. 

I hope this never happens in this version of L5r. Old Cavalry was the most stupid keyword, and I hope we don't see this here as well.

• ohbee86 likes this

estyles

estyles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

I hope this never happens in this version of L5r. Old Cavalry was the most stupid keyword, and I hope we don't see this here as well.

I don't think that makes any sense in context here.  I mean, first of all, I fail to see how the cavalry keyword was that big of a deal.  Many years ago, when I played the game, yes, Unicorn could probably take out an undefended province or two, but you defended the provinces you needed to defend, you had send-home to keep things from getting out of hand, and you won the game when he couldn't take out your last province (you know - unless, the other player outplayed you in a particular game - Unicorn was a little weak in the original set, but not an auto-lose).  If they eventually started undercosting cavalry personalities later, then I'd say it's a problem with improper costing and not with the keyword itself.  Most clans had access to SOME cavalry, so you could even defend on their terms if you wanted to meet the challenge in that way.

That said, the Unicorn in this game desperately need a more cost-efficient way to start a conflict and use their abundant move tech, in order to be more threatening.  They can have plenty of ways to move characters in, but relying on having enough unbowed characters to start offensive conflicts and ALSO enough characters for movement to be meaningful is an issue.  They can either get some more 0- and 1- cost characters, which could be dangerous (and already kind of the schtick of Crab and Lion), or some way to declare the conflict and THEN move characters in.  As long as they can't gain Fate off rings for free, I don't see why it's even a big deal.  It's nothing like the Old5R cavalry mechanic, because you still can only declare 2 conflicts per turn, but being able to reserve characters and meter them out to conflicts after determining defense (and other clans will have some movement tech, anyway, just not as much) is not nearly the same as having 4 targets and the possibility of destroying 3 of them at once (however remote that possibility actually was with proper defensive play).  And also, it would likely be limited by 3 copies of an event, or once per turn from a stronghold, holding, or character.  In a way, it's like having a 0-cost conflict character that disappears after you commit him to a conflict.  Which is better in this context than a 1-cost 1/1/0 conflict character, but not by a huge ridiculous amount.

ellonellanfair

ellonellanfair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

With the ruling on Ide Trader (he can trigger after he himself moves into the conflict), I think unicorn decks needs 3x Ide Trader, 3x Favored Mount and 3x Spyglass to have a strong economic engine. I usually put two fate on Ide Trader to maximize returns. I've cut Way of the Unicorn from my decks as well. I see no use other than for Meishodo, which I've cut as well. I don't see much value in going first other than the potential of gaining 1 fate by passing early. We've got the same province setup GasPowered. Unicorn Conflict cards are quite low costed that Fertile Grounds is better than Manicured Garden. What are your thoughts on Way of the Unicorn?

Given Altansarnai's ability, I think one of the goals of Unicorn is to keep the board state small. Cards like Assassination, Fallen in Battle, Noble Sacrifice are quite good.

Here's take abusing these thoughts and the Giver of Gifts + Duelist Training combo:

Deck Clan: Unicorn

Total Cards: (85)

Total Conflict: (40) Total Dynasty: (40)

Total Influence: (11/13)

Stronghold:  
1x Golden Plains Outpost (Core Set #7)

Role:  
1x Keeper of Fire (Core Set #216A)

Province: (5)  
Air (1/1) Earth (1/1) Fire (1/1) Void (1/1) Water (1/1)  
1x Ancestral Lands (Core Set #15)
1x Endless Plains (Core Set #14)
1x Manicured Garden (Core Set #19)
1x Meditations on the Tao (Core Set #20)
1x Shameful Display (Core Set #24)

Character [Dynasty]: (37)  
3x Aggressive Moto (Core Set #111)
3x Border Rider (Core Set #112)
3x Giver of Gifts (Core Set #115)
3x Ide Trader (Core Set #116)
3x Keeper Initiate (Core Set #124)
2x Moto Horde (Core Set #119)
3x Moto Youth (Core Set #109)
3x Shinjo Altansarnai (Core Set #121)
3x Shinjo Outrider (Core Set #114)
2x Shinjo Tatsuo (Core Set #120)
3x Utaku Infantry (Core Set #110)
3x Utaku Yumino (Core Set #118)
3x Warrior Poet (Core Set #117)

Character [Conflict]: (0/10)  

Attachment: (15)  
3x Duelist Training (Core Set #142)
3x Favored Mount (Core Set #192)
3x Fine Katana (Core Set #200)
3x Ornate Fan (Core Set #201)
3x Spyglass (Core Set #193)

Event: (25)  
2x Admit Defeat (Core Set #147)
3x Assassination (Core Set #203)
3x Banzai! (Core Set #204)
3x Captive Audience (Core Set #196)
2x Cavalry Reserves (Core Set #199)
2x Charge! (Core Set #210)
3x Court Games (Core Set #206)
3x I Am Ready (Core Set #197)
2x Noble Sacrifice (Core Set #148)
2x Fallen in Battle (Core Set #211)

Holding: (3)  
3x Favorable Ground (Core Set #128)

GasPoweredStick

GasPoweredStick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

I think Way of the Unicorn is a good card. You mentioned being the first to pass, which is one economics bonus, but in addition, past the first turn you're also likely getting free fate from rings. Secondly, the fact that you are declaring the first conflict cannot be understated. It's is quite likely you will be declaring more conflicts than your opponent, since they will exhaust their forces to defend your attacks. the attacker also has the ties going towards them. Finally in a both on stronghold situation, being able to make the first move is again potent.

These may all sound small, but I think the additional pressure that way of the unicorn gives is well worth it.

In regards to your deck, I'm curious to how it pans out. I think admit defeat might be a mistake - much of the point of unicorn offensive is to force them to over commit to a defense. You send in moto youth, they block with two guys, you pass and get value of bowing half their field. On the other hand, the presence of admit defeat might actually force that behavior to a greater degree. I have no Idea how well duelist training will turn out, but remember that unicorn have little honor game, and the way I play them means it's not too often for one guy to get too stacked up with military. Give of gifts combo does sound a bit janky to me, but again, I haven't used duelist training so who am I to judge.

I'm not confident in the assassination + FiB + Altansarnai -  can see how it's meant to work, but never pulled it off I think.

• Asklepios, Hakkor, Eu8L1ch and 1 other like this

Hakkor

Hakkor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

I think Way of the Unicorn is a good card. You mentioned being the first to pass, which is one economics bonus, but in addition, past the first turn you're also likely getting free fate from rings. Secondly, the fact that you are declaring the first conflict cannot be understated. It's is quite likely you will be declaring more conflicts than your opponent, since they will exhaust their forces to defend your attacks. the attacker also has the ties going towards them. Finally in a both on stronghold situation, being able to make the first move is again potent.

These may all sound small, but I think the additional pressure that way of the unicorn gives is well worth it.

Couldn't have said it better.

ellonellanfair

ellonellanfair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

I agree on your points GasPowered. Yes you are likely going to get fate from rings, but unless there's more fate on a specific ring, the opponent can get some for himself as well. I guess what I don't like about it is it doesn't win you conflicts and the card slot seems better replaced by tricks.

Admit Defeat is easy with Assassination. I could see splashing Above Question as well instead of it.

freemandas

freemandas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Couldn't have said it better.

I agree and add that you not only can do that but also you choose first what kind of ring you need in that moment: void to punch on is fate tokens or water to bow and prevent being attacked after, or even fire because you have several characters with high glory.

Captive Audience + Cavalry Reserves + I am Ready +Way of the Unicorn are wonderful cards, and you want allways go first with the movement ability. You send a scout and you notice what your opponent is doing, if you need more units into the conflict... Enjoy this is the play style of the Ki-rin.

In relation to your ally: I Think Lion for pure agro with For Great Glory, Vengenful Oathkeeper, or Dragon to be more agrocontrol with Let it go, mirumoto's fury ( i love this card) or Tattooed wanderer.

sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

This post has been heavily edited because I had missed the existence of Utaku Infantry! Strike-through indicate portions that I have deleted. Italics indicate portions I have added. Needless to say, the discovery that I had forgotten 3x 1-cost characters can change the thrust of the build quite radically!

First a confession: I'm sadly not a fan of the Unicorn Core pool.

Maybe I am underestimating the power of the Blitzkrieg cards like a Moto Horde that breaks a province, then after declaring a political attack with a 2/2, Captive Audience, I Am Ready the Horde and your stronghold moves it in for a double break. It's why I assume super-tempo cards like Breakthrough exist (if they had Covert, I can see 1x copy justifying itself for Way of the Unicorn + Breakthrough stealing the win, trailing 3-2 start of the final turn). Unicorn Blitz is appropriately an out-rush strategy but Magic's Red Deck Wins "I'm faster than you" (rush in Thrones) never really appealed even though you must respect its potency to win before your longer game set-up locks-in the win. This is also seen in cards like I Am Ready because who cares how much Fate is left on your cards if you can win this turn.

I am not aligned to a particular Clan so I take no pleasure in going out on a limb and saying I feel Unicorn is probably weakest in the Core Set - but this can be quickly changed with the release of 2x 1-cost dynasty cards so it's temporary. Because the main issue that immediately put me off was their cost curve that can be easily fixed. But they do have great cards. With limited deck slots and an ever growing pool, it's better to have some outstanding cards and some sub-par cards than just mediocre cards. So let's look at some of my reasons to play Unicorn.

1. Captive Audience - for a small cost of 1C 1H, this is such a huge play and, after checking to see if it is cancelled, it turns on your stronghold as well as other moves. In defence with Fallen In Battle, it can kill an enemy champion attacking in political, a threat the opponent must always be wary of if you have 1F spare, perhaps the only credible use of Fallen In Battle (as detailed in the early posts of the Crab thread with Unicorn splash). It's the counter for Rally the Cause, a water province many builds include, as well as Kuroi Mori, and it affects how you evaluate many of the Unicorn cards.

2. Border Rider - this is the standalone Unicorn dynasty card that I rate most. It speaks for itself. Host a Katana when it has 0F (any more incentive and it's Assassination time).

3. Favoured Mount - the other standalone card, splashed with Captive Audience, the ability to counter an expel effect for the same cost (often returning stronger) or bring in reinforcements is unique to Unicorn (outside of visible Favourable Ground) and again makes unspent 1F a constant threat in conflicts.

4. Ide Trader - an economic powerhouse strengthened by the (intuitive) self-moving ruling, it does need support and benefits most from gaining the Cavalry trait with Favoured Mount (to be moved bowed by the stronghold to deny unopposed). Safe from assassination for stacking with the next card.

5. Spyglass - 2 influence to import in, I believe this lacks sufficient synergy outside Unicorn with its many movement tricks (stronghold, Outrider, Tatsuo, a full set of Mounts). It's 1F 1C commitment to gain +1P and payback 1-2C per turn, it really needs to be triggered twice per turn to be worth its slot - but in Unicorn, it's a card draw powerhouse (the +1P also helps against Crane and Shoju). And it's often a target of the next card.

6. Giver of Gifts - I love this design and I only wish it was worded wider for negative attachments trickery. Moving Katanas, Fans and Spyglasses at the right time is a telegraphed threat that must be mitigated with an overcommit or drawing the poison. It's unfortunate that Mounts do not have a constant benefit and that Moto Horde can only host the Katana (or imported Weapons). However, Giver of Gifts also ensures your attachments are inherited when their host is bowed at 0 Fate, indirect card draw like Ancestral but also free cost to play again.

7. Moto Horde - in a Core set pool especially, numbers matter and this beat stick is a necessary cutting edge, its text mostly an advantage, effectively immunising it from Pacifism (key) and Poison (but also no Spyglass), a key card mainly because of Charge and a late game Cavalry Reserves.

8. Golden Plains Outpost - although the +0/10H stats are poor, the effect is very strong (with so much Cavalry, even Mounts granting the trait) and being always available is the support needed for engines like Spyglass.

9. Way of the Unicorn - I like this card. The threat of it often prevents the opponent manipulating ring choices going second, setting themselves up to collect the ring they want with 1F on it. Going first is most definitely an advantage in a game where ring effects can be ranked (varying according to game state) with 1F incentives but also the 1F bonus for passing first. One of the main benefits of Unicorn move tricks without width is the denial of unopposed with a bowed unit you have already used to attack (that can Rout the attacker). Finally, there is Meishodo Wielder and Moto Youth that benefit from first. Make no mistake, this is a ring control card but also an economy card.

10. Shinjo Outrider - the power of late commitment ability is the over-commitment needed to safely resist an attack/break. A prime host for Spyglass, it's versatile 2/2 means it threatens in either conflict 1, is used in conflict 3 then prevents unopposed conflict 4 (going first). He's more cost-efficient than Tatsuo (who sadly can't trigger if already participating).

So looking at these strengths, the first thing that comes to my mind is how blessed Unicorn are with economy cards: Ide Trader, Giver of Gifts. Way of the Unicorn and Spyglass. It's also apparent how easy it is to stretch opponent's forces to prevent unopposed whilst at the same time denying unopposed with bowed move-ins to pressure on Honour. Both of these factors meant that I'd prefer to play the Unicorn long game - after all, in a long game, whoever has the better economy and less Honour pressure is going to benefit.

So my example build below tries to leverage this economic advantage and mitigate the awful cost curve.

Clan: Unicorn (allied with Lion)

Stronghold:  

Role:  

Provinces (5)

Dynasty (40)

Conflict (40)  

Here are my reasons for some of my build decisions:

Shinjo Altansarnai x0, Endless Plains x0, Fallen In Battle x0

The champion is simply too expensive in a Clan pool that only has 1 printed cost 1 character, even with 3x Charge. She's wrongly costed to be used with Cavalry Reserves (where you want 4+2 or 3+3 or 2+2+2 but 5+1 Cavalry in discards is very unlikely). But the kicker is playing For Greater Glory (another economy card): you don't want to advertise that military breaking is important with a card in play (including Charge) that references it because it's an incentive to try and prevent the break. So once you skip her, the other two pieces are also not played, it's all or nothing in the culling tech (beyond Assassination which is pure utility).

Cavalry Reserves x1 x2, Charge x3

I couldn't justify more than 1x 3 cost event facing an undeclared Scorpion or Crane cancel (alternative is 1x Guidance of the Ancestors). It's telegraphed (but often so what?) unlike Ambush in Scorpion that has alternative plays in Blackmail, I Can Swim, Unassuming Yojimbo and most importantly cancel cover against a cancel. With no Altansarnai, dynasty cards support it (even without Aggressive Moto). This event is for Blitzkrieg and this build is more about leveraging the Unicorn economy advantages in a longer game. However its upside "for the win" is good enough to include x1 (especially with For Greater Glory) and if you are facing Crane or Scorpion splash late game and fear the cancel, you may be able to pitch it to Yumino (much like Scorpion has Favoured Niece to cycle its match-up dependent cards).

How many Cavalry Reserves you play defines your Dynasty build. You want it later game so x2 is probably the most you will want and you don't want too many liability cards facing a Scorpion or Crane splash who has yet to cancel an event! Utaku Infantry (whilst not Cavalry) encourages a low end swarm and Reserves for 2+2+2 Bushi Cavalry with For Greater Glory is probably optimum flexibility (Moto Horde + Aggressive Moto is the classic attack). Charge synergises perfectly with Cavalry Reserves, the former x3 as a precursor to the latter x2.

I Am Ready x0, Ready for Battle x3

If you are facing Unicorn, you know your expel tricks are compromised but your bow tricks aren't. But whilst I Am Ready is proactive reuse in a Blitzkrieg build, Lion's Ready for Battle is the 1F cheaper free reactive equivalent for Brawlers, Admit Defeat, Fury, so many crucial effects as well as Water Ring that, with Way of the Unicorn, can be left for the opponent to choose in conflict 2, perhaps a political attack aimed at bowing your 0 Fate Horde - and voila, they have wasted their ring effect and their plans. Ready for Battle is better in the economic long game.

Aggressive Moto x0 x3, Miya Mystic x3

Aggressive Moto should not be compared to the Matsu Berserker which is a stand-out weenie, almost as good as Bayushi Liar. Objectively, it's a bad card really (compare it to other Unicorn 2 costers) although it does work with the stronghold and other move-in tricks for defence and it does further the Unicorn game plan. If I was playing 2x Cavalry Reserves in a Blitzkrieg build, I would play this x3 (I am now playing 2x Reserves) but in this build, where you often just want a probing threat to move into, especially in Political with a Spyglass on an Outrider or a Mount on a Trader, I prefer the Miya Mystic as a 1-turn attachment deterrent (and occasionally pre-existing removal) who often focuses a break attack on it if not deployed as an indicator of a key attachment in hand. With a tendency to go first, the Mystic is even more likely to launch that probe attack then exchange to remove that attachment for economic attrition. Pacifism can be an issue.

Warrior Poet x0, Utaku Yumino x0

These 3F for 2-2-2 characters are over-costed on raw stats and have sufficient Glory to become 0 threat if Dishonoured (and Honour / Dishonour events are based on Political conflicts or Courtiers). Although Cavalry, they also don't gel too well with Reserves (Yumino is unique, other 3 costers are Courtiers). Warrior Poet's ability is defensive whilst Yumino costs a card as a one-shot +2 (max. 1/conflict) which you can't use in attack before Crane stronghold bows it (Warrior Poet also bows without Fan or Spyglass). Leaving the 3-slot for Courtiers and skipping these female warriors for a high-low spread to accommodate both Charge (high) and Reserves (2+2+2) seems sensible.

Favourable Ground x1, Imperial Storehouse x3

Whilst it does add move home feinting, there is diminishing benefit in over-focusing. Yes, redundancy is a thing in card games but with a lack of 1 costers, Unicorn can't go wide enough to leverage this as well as the Stronghold, Outriders, Mounts and Tatsuo. I also like the Storehouse's denial of a holding presence vs Crab that does not occur if Crab are 2nd player (as you play Way of the Unicorn).

Rout x3

Move a bowed Horde to defence then Rout (or a bowed Outrider in Political) looks strong to me. Helps that Mount grants a +1M bump.

Pilgrimage x0, Shameful Display x1

A build that can often guarantee a defender, even if bowed, benefits most from this. Pilgrimage is for builds that care less about defence.

In Magic, my friends laugh when I try to play Aggro as I just don't get it: I'm always looking for good trades, longer economic advantage and attrition as a control player when the point is to just "win fast or go home". So I'm pretty sure I'm opening myself to the same accusations here but thought I should share my thoughts behind this build for forum feedback. Maybe there's something good in there that true Unicorn players can leverage.

• Caldera and freemandas like this

nightcrawlers

nightcrawlers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
My biggest gripe with unicorn is for greater glory should be a unicorn card.. I don't think it's possible to play unicorn and not splash lion

ellonellanfair

ellonellanfair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Strong splash is indeed Lion with FGG and even Sashimono. There are creative splashes in Dragon with Tatooed Wanderer being passed around with Giver of Gifts, Let Go or even Daimyo's favor for more economy since Spyglass and Favorable Mount costs 1 and could make Born in War legit with the cost reduction. Phoenix splash features Display of Power and Pacifism, which invalidates a character together with Captive Audience. Crane splash for Admit Defeat and Noble Sacrifice. Of all the splashes though, blitzkrieg Lion splash is strong and can end games fast if not controlled.

Caldera

Caldera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
I'm really looking forward to trying out Unicorn. I also tend to prefer the long game, so I feel Unicorn could give me the chance to satisfy my usually rather repressed aggressive/conflict-seeking urges. And with Dragon splash already spoken for in my Phoenix and...Dragon decks, it's the perfect opportunity to give a different Clan's conflict cards a bit of an airing...

...So Lion does seem a good fit for splashing into Unicorn. But i would probably choose I Am Ready over Ready For Battle, as it feels like it could synergise well with For Greater Glory...? Also Guidance of the Ancestors for possible combo with Yumino...?

Hakkor

Hakkor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Why not both? It makes your deck really consistent versus bowing effects, and Unicorn is plenty of tricks to work around sending home. That's a very strong staying power in conflicts.

• Caldera likes this

trlongwell

trlongwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Strong splash is indeed Lion with FGG and even Sashimono. There are creative splashes in Dragon with Tatooed Wanderer being passed around with Giver of Gifts, Let Go or even Daimyo's favor for more economy since Spyglass and Favorable Mount costs 1 and could make Born in War legit with the cost reduction. Phoenix splash features Display of Power and Pacifism, which invalidates a character together with Captive Audience. Crane splash for Admit Defeat and Noble Sacrifice. Of all the splashes though, blitzkrieg Lion splash is strong and can end games fast if not controlled.

I have to say, I don't understand going for Display of Power.  It doesn't seem like you get enough in return for 2 fate.  I think it compares especially badly to Mirumoto's Fury.

I haven't been able to play yet, but from watching gameplay videos it seems like Dragon or Lion splash is the way to go. 

chiller087

chiller087

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

I have to say, I don't understand going for Display of Power. It doesn't seem like you get enough in return for 2 fate. I think it compares especially badly to Mirumoto's Fury.

I haven't been able to play yet, but from watching gameplay videos it seems like Dragon or Lion splash is the way to go.

I tried using DoP cuz I thought, "Well I don't plan on defending much so might as well get something out of it." Turns out, DoP doesn't offer Unicorn nearly as much as it sounds. Phoenix get more mileage out of it because they care about having certain rings in their pool to trigger abilities, but using it just to trigger a ring on defense is underwhelming at best.

Pacifism is definitely a better choice for 2 fate, if one is determined to splash Phoenix.

ellonellanfair

ellonellanfair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

The most sought after rings in the early game are Fire and Void because it controls the board state. DoP allows you to get those rings easily. It indeed has much more benefit in Phoenix given that they want the fire ring badly. Phoenix can pay it easier as well due to their Seeker Role. Unicorn has pretty good glory so they'll benefit from DoP on Fire  plus being able to play those Keeper Initiates for free. DoP on Void shrinks the board state which Unicorn wants as well. The other rings, not so much until needed. I think that's the highest leverage you'd get from DoP in Unicorn plus the potential imperial favor. If you are splashing DoP, use Manicured Garden.

• sparrowhawk likes this

sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

An apology to any Unicorn fans who may have been annoyed/disheartened by my criticism of the clan's pool in the post #10 above.

I discovered a few hours ago that I had missed out on the existence of Utaku Infantry! This changes everything as I had been bemoaning the awful cost curve of Unicorn Core pool and that they desperately needed another 1F character. When they had it all along! A fine one at that, even if not Cavalry (if it was, then the 6 total maths for Reserves would make Altansarnai far more appealing). Unicorn are a lot stronger than I first thought.

I have amended my list in post #10 above to accommodate this discovery, with adjustments clearly marked.

I still think they are slightly behind the others for having the weakest Champion, the weakest Province and a couple of underwhelming mid-range Bushi. But their fast aggro game looks pretty effective. And they look a lot of fun to play too.

It's very satisfying that FFG have created such distinct, appropriate styles between the 7 clans.

Hakkor

Hakkor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Maybe after some Unicorn games you may find they are not as weak as you see them.

The issue about missing the card was... curious.

IuchiToshimo

IuchiToshimo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Wacky Combo:  Fallen in Battle your own character so you can Cavalry Reserves them later in the turn. Ridiculous straighten tech ftw.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Unicorn, Deck, discussion, friendship